Thursday, July 12, 2012

Back in the Saddle

Good Evenin'

Well, a long day! Pretty fair, mostly, then a big old thunder storm late, though it didn't come with a lot of water. One lightnin' strike come so close, I could here the air sizzle, just before the horrendous bang; just happened to be in the log house makin' a cup a coffee. I figured sure, it'd hit the tree out front, but no casualties.

Went and checked fence late, and boy, was it good ta get out. The neighbor south'uz worried about a pair he was missin' and it's way more peaceful lookin' myself, than him runnin' around, me mindin' gates. I was thinkin' how I might could tell him, that I like him fine, but he does have a way of doin' hairbrain stuff, which is fine, on his place, but I try and steer clear a such over here.

I remember one day he had a wild bull on his piece and he drove around all day, honkin' his horn, tryin' ta get the bull out the gate. For some folks that might be enough said, but in case you're unaccustomed to the fine points, wild bulls are generally, best left alone or to a fella with some experience, preferably, horse back. How would you know it's a wild bull? Well, if he ain't got a brand and his eyes are kinda rollin' around in his head, odds are someone figured the amount of equipment he was like ta smash up'd outweigh any economic benefit he might generate and wasn't worth brandin'.

Anyway, believe it or not, he did get the bull out the gate; but he wasn't satisfied. He preceded to follow the bull up the road, still honkin' his horn. Well, 'bout the time he got outside our gate, this bull was startin' ta feel a little persecuted and wonderin' if there were any place on earth he might go. I'd come out on the porch, just in time ta see the bull, decidin' our place looked kinda peaceful and in he come, takin' out about about 20 yards a fence.
The neighbor shrugged, waved and drove off. I won't even try ta summarize my sentiments.

I went to the barn get a flake a hay, see if Bully might calm down, but he was so bothered at this point, soon as he saw me, he bolted south, takin' out another 50 yards a fence. My only consolation, he was now back on the neighbors.

So, I really do try to get along, and help when I can, though, as I mentioned, some small part of my incentive is to keep him happily over on his piece. Hence, him missin' a pair, a momma and a baby, well, it could just be, that whatever time I spend lookin', might be far less than whatever time I spent cleanin' up from another a his hair brained ideas. And, I hope I don't sound judgemental, but that's the fact and, while, I could go on and on, I'll leave it there, as the list of our encounters may vary in detail, but not much in substance.

And, it was good ta get out. Just noticin' today, all the doin's, the partners, the book, the bend, well, it's kinda all done, for now, but it sure has had me wound up. So, gettin' out, checkin' fence, lookin' for tracks, Whichy, my pup, taggin' along, walkin' in the gentle rain, come on after sunset, it did kinda remind me, again, this is the "why"; all the rest, in a sense, was/is just to be here. Simple and satisfied.

So, man~ana, I'll gather the bunch; ya, I did find tracks. Little hard ta figure, with all the rain, but I think that pair mighta crossed us and headed north to the BLM; the public land. So, me and the ponies'll get a toot and that's worth a million bucks; everybody, always has a good time, lookin' for cows.

Have a nice night!

Best,
jeune

2 comments:

  1. So you're going riding cow hunting? Oh wow .... that sounds like a million dollar day! Oh my, that's a lot of fence to fix. It's amazing the power of bulls ... why those folks run with them in Spain is beyond me ... they must drink stronger brews than the coffee I drink. I hope it's not too hard of a fix .. sheesh.

    Neighbors are characters ... some experiments of the Creator gone awry. I had a neighbor who told me he was going to cut a 20-foot swath through my woods because he thought his electric would be cheaper if he ran it through my property off my line. I told him ... well, I'll get the county guy out here, my realtor, and a government Friend, and we'll walk MY land and discuss it. Turns out, he looked at his deed a little closer, and he had to go another route per the county, so he told me I didn't have to assemble all of those people for a look see ... he already knew that too, and so did I ... I just didn't let on .. wanted to see what kind of "character" he had. I found out some folks you just have to keep at arm's length. Sometimes it's good to "speak softly and carry a big stick" ... LOL!

    Happy Trails!
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take care, Jeune. That lightning sounded kind of scary!

    That's some story about the neighbor and his bull. Folks like that end up way too often making others pay for their stupidity, while they themselves just keep on like nothing's wrong, moving in sort of a personal fog. I'm with "Peaceful" on this one, "experiments of the Creator gone awry" indeed. And smart way to take care of it! The "big stick" may have been invisible, but it seems her neighbor got the message.

    I smell a children's book in this story, which has action, humor, and a good teachable moment about being conscious of how one's actions can affect other people. This is another for FB, too.

    ReplyDelete