Friday, July 6, 2012

Poised to Pause

Good Evenin'

Well, another beautiful day, topped off with another fair thunderstorm. Always makes me laugh, hear the frogs; just somethin' funny about them wakin' up with the rain. And, a course, it ain't just the rain and apparently not just the thunder, both of which, we've already had. And, it might not be the thunder at all, maybe it's just when there's been enough rain to start soakin' into their dens, but, we did have some righteous, deep, long, low thunder last night, and sure enough, here come the frogs, singin' their summer song. We think we're clever, come up with an alarm clock, hooked up to a coffee pot; nature got the alarm clock hooked up to a shower, millions of years ago!

Been thrown off my game, quite some, late, so much goin' on; partners, and holidays, the book, the blog and the bend. Seems whenever I talk to my friends, I'm always remindin' myself, "attitude, is job number one!". Talkin' to my friend Chris this mornin' and he was remindin' me, all the poets, philosopher's and thinkers, came to the conclusion, "we can do nothing". Then, I was suggestin' it could be turned around; 'stead of some somber conclusion, it could be a joyful proclamation, "I can do nothing!". Though, I must confess, I'm just learnin'; I haven't got really good at it. But, it sure has been apparent, recent; so much happens, events, people, opinions and comments, weather, and there's a tendancy to react, or suppose I should. But, more and more, seems to me, at least half of it, bears waitin'; doin' nothin', 'cept maybe mindin' my attitude.

Read a quote from someone recent, said somethin' like 90% of all the things we worry about, will never happen. Often times, late, somethin' will come up and I can tell, right off the bat, "it ain't a good time, address a situation like that, with an attitude like mine". So, ya wait and sure enough, either my attitude improves and I can see things more brightly, and/or the situation changes all by itself and there's nothin' to do anyway. It is fantastic!

Got reminded again today, that beautiful request, "God grant me the serenity, accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference". But what do you call the gift of the moment, where ya stop and consider, on occasion, whether, in fact, there was any "thing" there to begin with; sometimes it's just thunder and lightnin'. It never actually rains.

Time the storm passed last night, it was late and dark. It'd been a while since the boys had a flake, and I heard 'em callin' from the corral. So, I put on my gum boots and headed on down. Ruben was in close and I threw one for him, but Wheely, Julio, seems, he'd gone around the other side where the light from the barn didn't reach. I walked over but couldn't see a thing, so I climbed over the rail and jumped in. I landed right under Wheely's nose and both of us jumped ten feet. So, ya see, similar, sometimes, ya think there's somethin' and it turns out ta be nothin'; sometimes ya think there's nothin' and it turns out ta be a horse!

Anyway, for I get too far out there, I'll just add the words of the fox, from St. Exupery's "Little Prince":

"One sees clearly, only with the heart, anything essential, invisible to the eye."

Boy, that gives me "pause"; everytime I hear it!

Have a nice night!

Best,

jeune

1 comment:

  1. Been trying to get a mental picture of a flake for months, so thanks for the photo, which looks like something that might well carry that label. Suppose I could've googled it, but it's so much better to see you throwing the flake.

    As for the heart of the matter ... very wise and very true. Big difference between prudent preparation - like emergency kits in earthquake country - vs fretting about the "big one" with all sorts of hypothetical "what ifs".

    ReplyDelete