Friday, December 2, 2011

Barnyard; Chapter 4

Afternoon!

Well, it blew pretty steady, yesterday, and I was over in a little town, kinda up in the hills, trimmin' burros and mules. Don't know why exactly, but, time I got home and fed, it was all I could do cook some supper and hit the bunk.

So, back to the Barnyard trail and I'm gonna take another turn here, try to keep this simple; my favorite rule a thumb, the "Kiss" principal, keep it simple, silly. 'Cause, end a the day, I wonder if this story about Barnyard, Rusty, isn't just a story about how different people can be, and how their experiences color the way they see the world.

I know, back in the fifties and sixties, along with the "TV Westerns" there were a lot of "Big Screen" Westerns and almost everybody, either heard of, or remembers John Wayne. And, it's kinda funny 'cause I knew people like him, but all to say, there definitely came a point in my life, where I had to admit, "I am not like that!". Heck, I had a brother, one a those amazing people, seemed like whatever he put his mind to, it just turn to gold; handsome, popular, an amazin' athlete, you name it.

But, I remember a dream I had, when I was fairly young; twelve or so. Same dream, every night; lasted several weeks. Simple, really; jist of it, nobody really knew anybody. Whole thing was a shadow game, smoke and mirrors, but the scary part, was not knowin' my own self. All I could do was cry when I woke up and, a course, young as I was, I couldn't explain it to anyone.

But, it seems, it took me 'till my late teens, tryin' ta be like my brother, 'fore I could admit, I wasn't him and start ta look for myself. So, I guess what I'm sayin' is, there might be a lot of people, look at life as a matter of "doin", but the circumstances of my life, kinda left me with a big question of "seein". And, it's really pretty funny; I feel like, maybe, ever since I had those dreams, I've tried ta "do" so many things. Now, here I am, fifty years later, and maybe over all those years and all that "doin", the question remains, and maybe even stronger, "ok, but do you see?".

So, I think this is the "bottom of the barrel"; with a different sort of meanin'. Kinda like the heart of my story about Rusty, and me. Now, let's see if I can find my way back to the horse.

Have a nice night.

Best,

1 comment:

  1. People "do" because it's all they know, and they have to have a purpose, so they hang on to that one for dear life. A friend from work once told me, "I'm a runner." I asked her what she would be when she could no longer run, and she got agitated and changed the subject. If folks knew that "seeing" was even possible, and then could learn how to actually "see," then they might be able to slow themselves down and just enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete