Monday, October 31, 2011

Clientelle

Good Evenin',

Well, believe it, or not, a few months ago, I said if I remembered my phone, I'd take some picutres of my neighbor's burros and consistent with, my thoroughly, over the hill, New Mexico attitude, I finally remembered!

I stopped by the cook shack get a cup a coffee, even though I only had fifty cents, figurin' it'd be a long afternoon, with my burro friends and knowin' it'd give old Larry somethin' to cuss about, chucklin' like he always does and we got to discussin' age. He's 80. Anyway, he asked how old I was and I told him 59. He was tryin' to think how old his sister was and I piped up, " you got a sister?". He looked at me and said, "where are you goin'?". I said," Wayne and Kate's". He looked at me in disbelief, waiting. "Oh, ya, Kate!". Then he said, " I'm 80 years old and I can still remember my neighbors. You ain't even 60 and you barely remember yer own name, let alone, where yer goin', one minute to the next! What on earth are we gonna do with you?".

And, he's right. I suggested, where he was born in the depression and I came along after the war, it was sugar! Our generation grew up with, nearly unlimited quantities of sugar and there ya have it; he's still goin' strong at 80 and I'm hopin' I can make it to 60!

Anyway, we had a good laugh and enjoyed the moment; a perfect fall afternoon, sittin' on our behinds, in the warm October sun, there front of the cook shack. Then he went off ta fix the cooler and I headed off ta trim the burros and, yes, at his sister's house .

Have a nice night.

Best,

jeune

No comments:

Post a Comment