Friday, October 7, 2011

A Place in My Heart

Good Mornin'

Well, I wasn't too far off on the weather, in fact, it was just, one a those days. Started rainin' and turned ta snow, then, only October, back ta rain. Lucky, I had a pile a barn boards, from the corral the boys are slowly demolishin', and I managed ta find some dry stuff on the bottom, keep the stove a hummin'; technically it ain't "that" cold, but a day like that can sure get inta yer bones.

Otherwise, I had a great lesson in horse-person-ship, this mornin', compliments of young Graceful, rescue pony from the sale barn up north; she wasn't "quite right" and headin' fer Oscar Meyer. Quite right, anybody's guess. I have noticed, sometimes when it's cold and slushy, she does seem ta have some joint trouble, but I had an old mare that was givin' me "the look", 'cause we didn't have no babies around and so, Graceful came home; Thanks Giving. She had a BIG belly, hence "Graceful".

Anyway, she didn't come in with the bunch, fer a flake, as they're like to, cold and rainy day. So, I drink my tea, bundled up and headed over the hill, followin' the trail, the bunch had kicked up, in the mud. If she was down, wouldn't be long fer "dead". Anyway, up through the trees, cross a pasture, down through the trees, other side a the ridge, out in the middle, there she was, standin'. She knickered on seein' me and I walked up and give her a rub. Walked around lookin' fer wounds and, not seein' any, stepped off behind and slapped my chaps, see if she'd move. She did, favorin' her right front foot, quite some. So, when she settled, I walked up again, give her a rub and picked up her foot, clean it out, see if I could see any wound. Again, nothin'. All I could figure, wet and greasy like it was, she mighta slid and sprained her leg.

Well, I'd never had much chance work with her, save brushin' and playin' with her feet, now and then and it'd been on my mind fer a couple a years. So, I figured, "here we go, bucky, this is the perfect opportunity, see what ya got!". Answer, not too much. Her mind was pretty well fixed on the absence a the bunch. So, I start siftin' back through pages a Tom and Ray. "O.k., let's get movin'!". I whooped and hollered, give her a start and whooped and hollered, when ever she stopped, her mind driftin' off. We ended up, far southwest corner of that pasture, another half mile out, away from the barn. Figurin' she really wasn't "that" scared a me and the bunch, sure weren't there, she turned around and waited. I went up and give her a rub, then started back, seein' if she'd follow. Nope! She'd look, but not fer long, even if I run back whenever she'd look away. "O.k., so what'd a momma do?". So, I got behind her whooped it up, give her a smack on the butt! And, even if it weren't direct, we headed home, me shooin' her, swipin' her tail, whenever she'd drift off. Three quarter, the way back, we met the bunch, comin' over the hill, everyone all excited.

So, I still have a lotta questions, 'bout this "leadership" thing, it's just so easy, think we know what that means. But, I think it's pretty clear, I sure need a place in her mind, just like her momma did, 'cause sore foot 'er no, all by yourself, just west, the divide, ain't no way a horse'll live long.

Have a great day!

Best,

jeune

P.S. Thanks again to Brandon Johnson for the photgraphy!

No comments:

Post a Comment