Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Piles a Fun

Good Evenin',

Well, different kinda day; rain off and on. Thing I notice, 'bout gettin' older, everything seems to affect me more. I guess, this would be like a low pressure system and soon as it pulled in, I sure wanted to nap. Which I did, justifyin' it, where I kinda pushed it yesterday, fixin' the roof on the barn.

Then, I was up early, checkin' the backside fer poachers; the kinda cannons they use these days, a hunter might be five miles out and it sounds like they're in your backyard. Don't know why I get so grumpy about hunters, but I guess it's just the way they get so jazzed up, they kinda lose any notion of boundaries and courtesy.

Anyway, the wild bunch come in for a flake and I got ta visit some, trim up a few more toes and I felt a little better, seein' they was in a nappin' mood, too. Afternoon, I led 'em back out toward the pasture, where it really ain't that cold and we really got ta take advantage; stretch our hay out, best we can. I'd been meanin' ta start gettin' serious about firewood, too, so I used the excuse, hang with them a while, start a pile, out yonder, under a tree, where I can go stock up when the snow flies. I know it probably ain't that efficient, but I'm losin' my affection for machinery, too. So, rather than mess with a saw and the truck, I'd rather wander with the bunch, bust old dead limbs and make piles here and there. I've always been partial ta good company and there's always plenty a reasons I can't hang with 'em so much, so any reason "for" is good reason to me. They perked up after grazin' a bit, there in the woods, just this side a the open pasture and pretty soon I heard 'em thunderin' up over the hill. Finished up my pile and headed home with an arm full.

Julio, half of the mustang boys, back at the barn, was standin', ever so sweet, waitin' and watchin' for me to show up for "tea"; their four o'clock flake. It was startin' ta cloud up again, so I pulled the gate open, let 'em out ta play some, 'fore the mud set in; figured I could just double up on dinner. Then, seein' I had such a good time with the bunch, wanderin' and collectin' branches and knowin' the boys, too, seem ta love our "hang time", set ta makin' another pile, right there in their run. It's so amazin' watch them gettin' used ta me, now that they got a little more freedom and the "rules" a changed a little; it ain't just about brushin' and feedin' and foot trimmin'. Sometimes, it's just about bein' together; radical notion. But, it sure is fun.

Have a nice night.

Best,

jeune

No comments:

Post a Comment