Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Barnyard; Chapter 2

Good Evenin'

So, I been thinkin' some, exactly how far, I'd have to go back, give ya some sense of how I see horses and I suppose, my first few years ambulent, would be the simplest. As I mention in the book, I was the youngest, by a large margin in a large family. And, by the time I came along, most a my brothers and sisters were quite a bit older. Personalities were formin' and runnin' into each other and, after the war and all, I don't think things were goin' real well with the adults, either.

So, quick as I started gettin' out and about, I discovered the barn and the horses. It was a welcome world; quiet and simple and full a creatures, plumb tickled ta visit. And, soon enough I could see how each one had a different personality; a way a seein' things, actin' and reactin' all their own. Even, physical they were different and somehow, the whole package for each one, all seemed kinda consistent.

As I mentioned, their was Mighty Atom, the pint size rascal, smart as they come. A wooly little bay pony, cagey as the day is long. You could put a baby on his back and he' tip toe around careful as could be. I'd climb on and all bets were off; he'd bounce and hop and dart and scoot, stop and spin. Just enjoyin' the daylights outta dumpin' me here and there, then actin' all sweet and concerned, so I'd climb back on. Then there were big horses and fine horses and one paint horse I remember with one blue eye.

Anyway, maybe I was too young to know better, or maybe better's a good question, but pretty soon, we were quite the family, all our own. Comin' and goin', feedin' and cleanin', brushin' and playin'; by contrast to the house and all, way harmonius and good natured. So, maybe it was a set up, but I guess I grew up with a question about "smart" and whether it all belonged to the human.

And, it's late again, so I guess I'll call that enough for today.

Have a nice night.

Best,

No comments:

Post a Comment