Monday, May 28, 2012

Horse Sense

Good Mornin'

Well, believe it or not, actually had some ice on the horse tank last night. The wind shiftin', there yesterday, comin' around from the northwest, dropped our temps another notch and pushed the smoke back south.

And, that ain't all bad; blowin' like it has, little ground moisture to begin with, least these cooler temps'll keep the evaporation down to a minimum. Special, headin' into June, general, the hottest month of the year and not likely to see rain 'till July. Then again, predictin' anything, anymore is, pretty near, impossible.

Did get to play with the boys last night; workin' on Julio's feet and Ruben's fear. Amazin' conversation, any way ya look at it and conversation it is. Julio with his bad eyes tryin' to figure, what it is I want with his feet and Ruben, convinced he don't want no humans, 'hind his front quarters. And, as I often, profess, I ain't necessarily "good" at this inter-speecial conversation, but we sure have fun and I do believe I'm learnin'.

And, one way or another we are relaxin'; me more clear it's the learnin', not the clock and them, despite themselves, admittin' it is kinda fun, playin', whatever it is I'm up to and however poorly I m approach it. I was workin' with Julio in the round pen and Ruben, who's taken to watchin' us, quite a lot of late, started scratchin' on the gate, which I don't hardly fasten, and ended up in the pen with me and Julio. Now, in the past, this would have been a major blow up, as Julio don't fancy bein' around Ruben, no way, if I got a rope on him; Ruben bein' kinda dominant and Julio concerned with "free flight", when he's near by. But, this time everybody just kinda sized up the situation, looked around and waited for me to sort things out.

Hilarious, really; Ruben kinda lookin' around like, "huh, how'd I get in here?", and Julio just calmly movin' a couple a steps sideways, where he ended up behind me, thus, pendin' otherwise, unforeseen developments, safe. So, I just walked over, droppin' a few coils, for slack, open the gate a little and Ruben, as if to say, a casual "thanks", stepped around and back outside and matter of fact resumed his spectatorship.

This might all seem, quite insignificant, but for them "not" to blow at the first sign any curious development, is really huge; special with a "dumb human" somewhere in the neighborhood. As, "we might not know much, but there can be no doubt, that humans don't know anything!".

Sure, sure makes me smile!

Have a great day!

Best,

3 comments:

  1. Very cool "ballet" almost, a dance of discovery and learning .... with a bit of trust in there for good measure. Because of how you describe the situation, I can easily "see" it. Wonderful, and easy to see why you are smiling. Looking forward to further developments in this relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really HUGE!!! :) Wow. Would have loved to see it, but I guess I did through your eyes. Working in the round pen is fun and such discovery is made. And Ruben knows how to "knock at the door." That's pretty smart I would say. What a moment in time to never forget. So Ruben walked in and out to make sure he wasn't trapped? Sorting things out ... I like that. :) Julio maybe is starting to think of you as his protector ... the dominant one, or at least the one who makes "peace?"

    Keep 'em coming. Love to hear it all. :)

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Love the picture up top!

      Delete