Wednesday, May 2, 2012

One Drop of Nectar

Good Mornin'

Shapin' up a beautiful day.

Amazin' to me, how simple and rich life can be. I've had these mustang boys some years now. Early on, I jumped in, eager to "prove" that wild horses, were "just horses" and certain I'd have 'em "goin'" in short order. But, as life seems to get a great tickle from callin' our assumptions in to question, my early efforts, did not add up, by any stretch.

So, after, some helpin's of humble pie, I really had to back up and admit, "wow, I really need to get passed my assumptions and get to know these horses!". Which is the case with any horse, but at least double with the boys; three or four hundred years, their families in the mountains, here, little to no contact with humans. Then on top, pulled out of the woods and away from their families and subject to every freaky experience you can imagine; forest service pens, branding, shots, squeeze chutes, noise and chaos.

And, so it's been; lots of waitin' and watchin', brushin' and feedin'. Years, now; tryin' a few things, here and there. Then ya factor in personality. Julio, the most obviously damaged, when they first come in, has come along, quite some, though I'm wonderin' how deep it goes. And Ruben, the glorius young stud, seemingly, deep down, determined to have no part a this partnership thing, though, same time, very curious about how that "might" work.

So, me gettin' a little stronger, since my illness a few years back. Circumstances, lendin' questions of the future. Seems time to get in the middle and sort out somethin' workable; older, wiser and maybe, more aware of where each one really lives.

Now, there's a strain of modern horsemanship, inclined toward "doin'" things, bring about a change in a horse; just a little like some a them psy-chologists, past decades. Maybe a combination of listenin' and shock therapy. But, as "effective" as it may prove, in most cases, I do have some questions and I suppose they revolve around "doin", as the end-all-be-all of success; as long as a horse'll do what you want and not hurt you, you've arrived!

Anyway, I've been spendin' a lot of time with the boys, again, tryin' little things, but, special with Ruben, just bein' quiet and listenin'. I guess it's the "shock stuff" I have a question about. I have no doubt that it does bring about a change, but "what is won and what is lost", there's my question.

Just enough, to get him to take me serious and agree to spend some time, then in the quiet to listen, boy what a story unfolds. I guess, you could say I've got a lot of faith in the power of story; not so glamorous, maybe not so fast, but deep and unbelievably powerful, that's my inclination.

And, it is possible, it'll take some time yet; most folks figure me COMPLETELY nuts. But, even to get a hint of the depth and power of "story", a hint, the beauty of a soul, so be it.

Have a great day!

Best,

P.S. Thanks, again to Brandon Johnson for the great shot of Ruben!

3 comments:

  1. If they don't get the importance of story, then they're the nutty ones. All a matter of perspective. Thinking one can understand without getting to know the story.... almost arrogant.
    Julio and Ruben sound just like kids who've been removed from abusive environments. Who knows if they'll ever really be able to trust. All you can do is give them reasons to want to, which is what it seems you've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just like the Native Americans, ripped from their world ... once free to roam looking for game (which at one time was quite plentiful until whole herds of buffalo were shot), quite evolved family structure, beautiful language, amazing skills, running in the wind. Then ...... nothing, and they had to fit a one-size-fits-all mold. Hundreds and hundreds of years of culture trying to be stuffed into suits and dresses. The fear of that happening again probably is quite alive in a 500-year-old instinct such as Ruben's. I know it is in me.
    Makes my heart happy he's free to roam .... nothing worse than putting free Spirit people or animals in a cage. The penitentiary of the mind is the worst thing.
    You'll be okay, Ruben. I wish I could sing to you.

    Fascinating shot, Brandon!

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ... I think it's amazing they let you pour water over them and treat eyes. Wow ... that was a big one!

      Delete