Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Owl Song

Good Mornin'

Well, just a little fresher this mornin', inside and out. Nice, sunny mornin', gentle breees stirrin'. Woke up to the song of an owl this just outside my tent; sure made me smile. Two reasons, I suppose; one, few years back they were around, and some times, evenin' I'd call back and seems, they'd get curious. Seems like there mighta been a couple, nested near by and hatched out their chicks. One mornin', early, maybe two or three, one musta set up in the tree, just outside my tent and shot a "hoot" right in the door; lit me up like a christmas tree! Always wondered if I'd been callin' back at his/her kids and he/she came to see who it was lived in here. Left me with a powerful appreciation for the power of a "hoot", that's for darn sure.

Other reason, my smile for the owl song this mornin', the ground out back we just secured. When I first dreamed of doin' somethin' for native kids and figured maybe I could write a book, raise some dough and got started, there was a Chippewa woman, helpin' me some, get organized. She made us promise to do a ceremony, come time take the pictures, invite the ancestors, all the critters, wildlife, Mother Earth, Father sky, bless our effort and affirm our commitment honor them, in return. Well, she sent us an owl feather, which we offered, along with some sage, a poem and drum song.

So, for the owl to show up this mornin', day after our offer was accepted on the ground out back and thinkin' it mighta been one of the chicks I was callin' to, few years back, well, yes, I sure did wake up with a smile.

Last read through on the book, here directly; off to the printer, 'fore weeks end.

Have a great day!

Best,

P.S. Thanks to Brandon Johnson, photo from the book and poem, "First Light".

1 comment:

  1. Love the owl story ... it's a very good sign indeed. Lit you up like a Christmas tree did he/she? LOL! They have a good strong singing voice.

    We have the Great Grey Owl here ... very loud ... I go out and listen to them calling back and forth, sky is clear with a million stars and planets, Creator looking down on me ... and I feel it. :)

    Your land is blessed and Sacred. Such a wonderful place to put your footsteps, every step with meaning to it.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete