Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Stumped

Good Afternoon

Another sunny, breezy day, here in the land of enchantment. And, I actually washed my feet and got some clean socks on, so, we have a marked up tick in local air quality, over yesterday mornin'; supposed ta make my monthly grocery run, tomorrow, provided the oilfield fellas fix the cattleguard over at my neighbors and she can get out, 'out fallin' in the ditch.

Otherwise, made some preliminary efforts, considerin' The Medicine Bend Association, played with the mustang boys and hauled a tank out to the wild bunch; got to check for bumps, bruises and cuts. All, well!

Did have another conversation with my erstwhile editor, and no I don't really know what erstwhile means, but it does sound good and I think I am startin' to understand, why he likes the simpler stories of life out here, middle of nowhere, with my odd assortment of critters. And, just so happens I was askin' myself the very same question, past few days; had to do with opinions and explanations. We all have 'em and we can get pretty hot, someone else comes along, and doesn't like ours, or has others. Life on the other hand, critters, a course, bein' part, has a way of doin' things, enough to challenge the best.

Kinda like the new addition of Gramma and Grampa Burro, here late and our gettin' to know each other and ourselves, all over again. Got to be about ten years since we first met, me come ta trim their hooves, there where they used ta live; all we went through gettin' comfortable with the drill, their off spring that came and went, off ta live somewhere else. Then, their owners gettin' old and wantin' to travel some, thinkin' to sell 'em at the sale barn and me workin' out a deal, get their babies up to the sanctuary, bring gramma and grampa over here. And, all of a sudden, it's just me and them. And, the question arises, what that means and who we really are.

Yesterday, I went out to check on 'em in their pasture, just beyond the trees, north a the barn and I was lookin' at Stump, grampa, as I scott, nearby, mid the sage and the grass, just noticin' how he wasn't a horse and he definitely, wasn't a dog, but distinctly his own creature. He came over sniffed my outstretched hand and my leather leggins and just looked at me, as if, since I brought it up, he'd rather admit, he wasn't quite sure who I was either, as, now that he'd had a few weeks, settle in and consider the situation, I clearly wasn't his previous owner.

So, we looked and considered, a moment or two, then he went back to munchin' and I headed back to the barn; the question left open, for time and trust, we'll figure it out.

Have a nice day!

Best,

1 comment:

  1. Simply has an appeal that's universal. :) Nothing beats washed feet, a good clean pair of socks and a great day. It just feels "right."

    So Gramps is finding his way in his new world. I know as I get older, change isn't as easy as it used to be. Seems like he's taking it quite well, happily munching away. His life is taking a good direction. You gave him and Grams a wonderful gift. :)

    Enjoy the day,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete