Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Kinder Garden

Good Mornin'

Another butte! I can here the breeze comin' up, as the weatherman said it might, but the big "drop" has been postponed; they say, maybe Monday. Funny, though, a big drop would only put us in "normal" range; 40's and 50's and that's good livin'. They always make it sound like the end of the world; lesson in there somewhere.

Had a wonderful day, playin' with "Jules", there, yesterday. (Julio) Funny how somethin' seems so distressful can turn out to be just the thing makes everything better in the long run. Actually, some years now I've been waitin' and wantin' take my relationship with the mustang boys, Ruben and Julio, a little futher down the road, but, there's all these other things, seem like priorities. All of a sudden, here's the situation with the mites and we gotta get closer; take the trust to a whole, another level. What a gift!

I suppose, it's really kinda perfect; 'cause even in the waitin', time passin', just bein' together day to day, feedin', brushin', gettin' out, comin' in, watchin' each other, carin', there really is a WHOLE lot's gone on. I remember I'd often say to my customers, "we can think, that "trainin'" all happens in the round pen, or horseback, but the horses are watchin', figurin' and addin' things up, 24/7! Maybe, even more, all the little things, go on, when we think "nothin's" at stake."

Reminds, me somethin' old Tom used ta say, "always makes me laugh, watchin' folks listenin' to me; I can see, just when I'm gettin' to somethin' important, them kinda drift off, politely smilin' and waitin' for me ta say somethin' important!".

Anyway, already, I can see Julio changin' and now, looks like I'll have ta start with Ruben, too; I noticed him startin to scratch his behind on the rails. But maybe the biggest gift, has just been the reminder; this is what I love, watchin' trust grow. I suppose for some that'd be like "watchin' paint dry", but, a little patience and a little understandin', generally, thanks to a good teacher, and "trust" is the most amazin' garden you'd ever like ta grow.

Have a great day!

Best,

P.S. I might add, just case any horse people read this and wonder why I'm takin' SO much time with theses mustang boys, for me it's about learnin' and variables. One, these are real mustangs, been out in the mountains, undisturbed, mostly three or four hundred years, and odds are way good, I'll never have this kinda opportunity again; maybe no one! Two, I do believe they got somethin' like that "post traumatic stress disorder", with the shock a gettin' pulled out a the forrest and thrown inta the forrest service pens; Tom used ta call it "overexposure", too much, too soon. And, three, my skill level, my feel timin' and balance, is only what it is. So, I figure, more trust, more I watch, really understand, what's important to them, how and why, closer I can get to accurate, as we get ta workin' more close. And, the trust might help fill in for any "inaccuracy" due to age or skill; whatever. I could write a book on this one little topic, but I guess I'll leave it there.

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine how traumatic it all must have been for the Mustangs ... like taking someone from the woods/country, dropping them in the middle of a cramped city, and them not understanding why, but it's forced upon them with no more freedom after all that time of kicking up their heels and wandering the beautiful earth! Glad things went well with Julio ..... really amazing. It'll be interesting to hear about Ruben too. What is it from the Old Book "Love/trust covers a multitude of wrongs." I tend to believe that. Thanks, Jeune!

    Take care,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete