Friday, December 28, 2012

A Simple Winter Day

Good Evenin'

And, another cool one with snow flurries and sun off and on.

Simple day, checkin' with the partners comin' in for their hunt; gates and road conditions. Upside, we got a bag a grain for Christmas; Ranchway, Showflake 12, "pree-me-yum"! I don't feed much, but January, we stay down below zero some, I do give 'em a handful or two end of the day. And, I give Big a little extra, help him keep his attitude and weight up, and I sneak in some red chili and yucca, help with his feet.

Otherwise got the last of the wood in and the truck cleaned out, so I can go get another; hope that my u-joints hold up. Get to deliver a few Christmas presents and see my Goatherd Family's new dog; saw his picture on facebook, but "ain't nothin' like the real thang" as the old song goes.

Wedo and Whichy, doin' quite well; I wouldn't say we're "best friends", but there does seem to be some acceptance, and a little less uncertainty. But, boy, if I thought Stinko was a "sheepish cowdog", this ones got it every which way. I think that happens though, cow dogs are bred for certain qualities and instincts, which most folks don't appreciate and understand. So, the dogs often get criticized for their inbred behavior; creates a lot of doubt in a dog. But, so far we're alive and well and gettin' better, day by day.

Have a wonderful evenin'!

Best,
jeune

2 comments:

  1. Looks cold there. The moonlight on the snow, and the paleness of the light sort of bring it out. Glad to hear the partners were feeling generous. A picture may well be worth a thousand words, but you can't hug it or pat it on the head, or scratch its belly, all of which I hope you got to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new pup in the neighborhood! Sounds like fun. :) Enjoy! Wonderful to get some premium food to supplement ... I suppose the Bunch uses a lot of energy in January just to stay comfortably warm.

    Appreciation and understanding ... that's all anyone wants I guess ... thanks for the good words, Jeune. Retrievers "retrieve" ... they retrieve shoes, the pillows, baskets, firewood ... they were born to do that. Can't really punish them for being who they are. My "working" dog has a job to do ... I'm Stella's "job" ... Laughing ... I drop things (socks, wood, dishcloths) just so she can pick them up and "work." If she had a buddy, she could get her energy out that way, but I'm it. I think I can see her smile when she's working.

    Beautiful picture up top .. snowing here again too ... nice light snow .. the kind I can just sweep away like feathers.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete