Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Critters

Good Evenin'

Well, started out snowin' and blowin' and finally quit snowin' but the blowin' kept right up 'til dark. And, mercy at that, where we'll likely see ten below, re-gardless.

And, more co-respondence, I suppose; email and snail. Checked with all parties on the Wedo transfer; the storm has added some variables, so any prayers and good wishes, for Wedo's steady head and heart, aren't like ta hurt a bit. The boy's just gettin' used to his foster home, he's gettin' picked up by my goatherd friend, whom he's never met and, with the weather, she's apt ta stay over at her son's house in Bernalillo, 'fore she heads back. So, a lot a changes for the boy, and, 'cordin to his foster mom, "he a sensitive boy, but not necessary the brightest"; which would mean I did a fair job a findin' another, quite like Stink, but, I do got my fingers crossed, he can take in all in stride. Upside, Diane, my goatherd friend, she's a first class Mom of every stripe and hopeful, Wedo'll figure it right and follow her lead.

Fed the ponies some extra, keep their "furnae" goin' through the night; hard ta believe they can make it, nights like this, but I'm told it's the "body mass" makes the difference. Still, I do say a prayer and "try an up early", break ice for water, get hay on the ground.

And, speakin' of co-respondance, I'm like ta packer in, so I'm up for the dawn.

***

Horse Spirits

I live in a tent in the woods;
It's my affection,
Be close the Horse Spirits.

Winter,
20 below,
I cower by my wood stove,
Nurse hot bowls of beans and rice.

They stand watch in the woods,
Alone with their breath, each other
And the night.

But early,
With hoof beats,
Crunch of snow,
Naught, but morning star,
I wake to the thrill of their coming.

Get up, get up!
Make welcome the Spirits!
Wade into the dawn,
And hot butter rum of them selves!

***

Have a wonderful night!

Best,
jeune

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love the poem ... beautiful ... "make welcome the Spirits!"

    Yes, extra prayers for Wedo's big adventure. Lots of changes, but he seemed able to do that first time around at his Foster Mom's home. Glad you have the Goatherd Mom fussing after him ... he'll like that a lot.

    Stay comfortably warm. We've had warmer weather than usual but sure not complaining. Big storm in the Midwest today. I hope the Seniors get a lot of help moving that heavy wet stuff ... hard on a person.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete