Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Marbles

Good Evenin'

And, another nice, mild winter day! Almost felt like spring and, here's a good one for ya, though, I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it has something to do with bein' able to tell the weather, 'fore ya get outta bed, by the sound of the voice of a crow. And, as I said, I'm not at all sure how it works, but it could be the temperature of the air, maybe the amount of humidity in the air, maybe just the sound, but I heard the crows playin' this mornin' as I woke up, talkin' back and forth and I knew exactly, what kind a mornin' it was! And, sure enough, time I got up, got the fire goin', got dressed, had some tea and headed out the door, that's exactly the kinda day it was; and remember, no windows.

A course, it could be I'm just losin' my marbles, but I do remember hearin' that crow and thinkin', "oh, a course, it's a day, just like that!".

There's an old fella lives across the way and, I don't reckin' he'd mind me tellin' this story, ya know, education and all, but, a few years back he retired; he'd been a brand inspector for the livestock board, mosta his life, after he quit cowboyin'. Anyway, he was gettin' on and he has about a hundred acres, so his wife got him a four wheeler, help him get around, fix fence, etc. Well, he'd never been terrible, mechanic and he was comin' back from fixin' fence one day, across the field and a jackalope popped up in front, and, him bein' a wise guy and proud a his new "horse", he figured he'd give it a race.

Well, about twenty five thousand dollars later, him bein' medi-vacced down to Albuquerque, for various, broken bones, con-tusions and near life threatenin' shock, I was talkin' to him at the cook shack one mornin' and the topic did come up; just maybe, if he ever got on that thing again, tyin' a bag a marbles on the handlebar, wouldn't be a bad idea. That way, he could always count 'em 'fore he fired it up, just to make sure, they were all there!

So, there's the news from Lindrith and now you know which way the crow sighs. Have a nice night!

P.S. Temps supposed ta drop about thirty degrees; cold air comin' in on high winds. So, our spring, is like ta be short lived.

Best,


jeune

4 comments:

  1. Read this in the morning. Guffawed for a couple of minutes. Talk about a great way to start a day. Off to the 99cent store, see if they stock marbles......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Well ... I feel real bad for the guy about the injuries part, but the marbles part is funny! I bet he gets a bag of marbles for Christmas. I found a marble while picking up rocks on the shore of one of the Great Lakes. I still have it and glad I only have one to count. Might be a great thing for a bumper sticker "Have you counted your marbles today" before someone gets behind the wheel and starts driving.

    Colorado is getting strong winds so expect you might too? We have snow everyday but not wind ... the wind strips the warmth out of everything. Might want to hire yourself out as a weather predictor ... up here, we listen for the ravens. Stay warm!

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re-read this, and just have to marvel at the crow "weather report" and how you have, after living there as long as you have, been able to come to an understanding of their speech. Quite wonderful.

    Also wanted to clarify why I laughed, not because the fella got hurt, because you made it clear he'd recovered. What made me laugh was the bag of marbles, and laughter is welcome any time. Now where did I put mine ........?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chase, I loved your word "guffawed." That's a good word, and a person can "see" it! :)

      Delete