Friday, March 2, 2012

$24.95

Good Mornin'

Well, upside, if March comes in like in like a lion, supposed to go out like a lamb; and lionish we have. Snowin', blowin' and cold!

Silly consideration, this mornin', embarrassin' really; $24.95. That's how much I've been askin' for the book. Not that it's high, compared to the amount of work's gone into it, or the cost of printin'; fact is we ignored most conventional wisdom on pricin'. But, I was just thinkin' how accustomed we've become to the "one nickel shy of the truth" syndrome. Like I said, it's a silly thing to think about, but it just reminds me how curious we've become, overtime.

Went to the local store, yesterday, get a can a beans and a jug of water; yup, can't drink the well water. Can't even cook with it, but that's a whole another story. Anyway, Ella came in while I was "knee go she atin'" with ol' Larry as to how much I owed him for a roll a paper towels; we always have a good time, tryin' ta chisel one another. The chuckles turnin' to belly laughs, with the risin' tide of half truths, lies and bad math, as we figure the bill and submit the payment and count the change. So, Ella came in and told Larry, "don't forget, ta pay him for a book" and ol' Larry asked how much they were. I told him $24.95. He proceed to pull a twenty and a five from the cash register and gave 'em to me, knowin' full well, I wasn't gonna give him a nickel. Simple, right?

Well, I got a question! How come we've got so used to that kinda nonsense? If ya really need $25 dollars, make it work, why not just come right out and say, "twenty five dollars"! But, no, $24.95. And, I'm really not gonna take it much further; just leave it there, anybody else has a question.

Just reminds me how lucky I am, to have met some a the horsemen and women I have; spend so much time with horses. A horse'll make no bones about tryin' to con ya outta that last flake a hay, but neither will he, or she, give you a lecture, 'bout how honest they are; they just are.

I remember one a the first things I was taught, about gettin' along with a horse; always make your intentions plain. They won't always like 'em, but they'll know, right away, "y'aren't a liar" and that's the beginnin' of any good love story.

I leave ya with one from a fine old wise guy, Mr. W.C. Fields. It's a little dark, but that was his way, seems, of suggestin' we turn on the light; "horse sense is what keeps horses from bettin' on people!"

Have a great day.

Best,

4 comments:

  1. HA HA HA! I must have horse sense then. :)

    I haul all my water in, no well or running water, made myself a shower (had help of course), battery operated hand squirter shower thingie, outhouse that never needs a plumber, and I'm good to "go" ... so to speak. :) I like the $25 round number better. That's what it'll be then ... with shipping added onto that too of course.

    Happy Trails,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Peaceful. I guess spendin' so much time with horses, by contrast, ya just start ta notice how us human's "shave" things; and get used to it, call it normal. And, it's a slippery slope. Reminds me in the book, there's a story 'bout some folks, long time ago, leavin' southeast asia, headin' for one of the pacific islands. Way it goes, if they'd been off half a degree, they'd a missed by a thousand miles. I never wanta get "used" to shavin' the truth, even five cents; leastwise the one I tell myself. It can make a big difference, in the long run. But, shouldn't we consider the difference it could make, treatin' each other like strangers; suckers that'll buy somethin' 'cause we shaved of a nickel? It's silly I know, but fact is little variations can add up overtime; and, for ya know it we're livin' in a world of strangers. Not sure that's where we ever wanted ta end up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I must admit, it is indeed silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The more I think about this, the sillier it gets and has got me tickled. Like $2.99 ... just make the thing 3 bucks and get it over with. I'm just laughing here ... just a stitch! :)

      Delete