Saturday, March 24, 2012

Jobs

Good Mornin'

And, I am up. Pretty late, but it's gettin' so, I got three or four jobs now. Correspondence, mornin' time, after I feed, then I got a job as a cook, then it's back ta feedin', then I'm the "go-pher", then we feed some more, then cowboy for a couple a hours, then feed and water, gather wood, then we're back ta cookin' and then we start writin'. And yesterday, we had ta throw in a visit to the neighbors, pick up some medecine, for one a the ponies, which precip-i-tated a return visit from two carloads a "woofers"; a "woofer" is, generally, a 20-somethin', hooked up with the World Organization Of Organic Farmers, who travels around, volunteerin', few weeks at a time, on various organic farms.

Anyway, they had ta see the rescue horses, the mustang boys, see for themselves that a fella could actually live in a tent year round, read the book and just wander around for a while, in a place where ya can't see anything but dirt and trees, sage, hill and sky for fifty miles any which way; with nothin' but breeze and bird song touchin their ears.

And, it was a peach of a day; sixty somethin', sunny, mild and just plain gorgeous.

So, I've givin up worryin' 'when the nearby rancher pulls up at 9:30, tellin' me the neighbors bull's back after his heifers and I'm still in my pajamas. I go ta bed at 8:30, I'm up at 4:30; midnight's a different story. And, with all these jobs, none of which pay minimum wage, well, that's just how it is!

Have a nice one.

Best,

1 comment:

  1. This definitely lives up to the teaser, but I was thinking "kids" were young horses or small humans, so the "woofers" were a surprise. Sounds like they just dropped by for touristic reasons, but given the way you describe the scenery there, it's easy to understand why they'd want to. Excellent that they got to get a look at your book.

    ReplyDelete