Sunday, March 18, 2012

Wind

Good Evenin'

Well, it blew today! Don't think I ever seen it blow quite that hard. Thrashed my tent pretty fair. Used ta be every fall I'd buy a new tarp; big sucker, 20 X 30. It'd cover the whole tent; right down the the ground on the sides. Almost down to the ground, on the backside; then I'd board up the last few feet. Tuck it in, 'tween the tent and my "A" frame dugout on the front. But the last couple a years, I'd been cuttin' up the good parts, off of old tarps and stitchin' 'em together; makin' a couple of smaller one, pilin' 'em one, top the other and tyin' 'em to logs on the side and boardin' up the back, best I could. So, 'tween them bein' old and not near so aero dynamic, well, let's just say it looks like somebody come by with a big lawn mower and went up one side and down the other. Good news, the tent itself is still standin'.

One year, I had the tent about ten yards south, openin' southeast. I was out cuttin' some cedar posts and it come a blowin, real unusual, yup, right outta the southeast. Soon as it dawned on me, the way it was comin', I quit my cuttin' and started walkin', then joggin', then runnin' as the "math" started addin' up. Sure enough, the tent was upside down, where it now sits, only the stove, sans pipe, where it used ta sit and pots pans, clothes, you name it spread out 'tween the two locations. And it started to rain.

I figured the creator just thought I'd be a little more comfortable, back here in the trees, some. Since then, I also dug it in a foot, in the sand and built that dugout on the front; give it more stability and a place, keep some wood dry. So, really, 'till today, it's worked fairly well, but it's likely time come up with a new tarp, or a better plan.

Anyway, now you know a whole bunch about wind, tents and why folks started buildin' real houses. And, it's likely time ta pack it in'; get up early start pickin' up the yard. Lost one piece a the barn roof, but got some cinder blocks on top a the rest, for it headed for Oklahoma, too. Hopefully, I'll be better prepared for the next blast and it won't be near, so bad; this was a "deusy".

Have a nice night!

Best,

No comments:

Post a Comment