Thursday, March 22, 2012

El Paso

Good Evenin'

Well, another peach of a day! Into the 60's, sunny with easy breezes.

A little overwhelmed, with so many irons in the fire, but as a friend just reminded me, "this, too will pass".

I remember when I first moved out this way; I was livin' in an old abandon homestead. It was a palace, from my point a view, as, however modest the accomodations, they were mine for all practical purposes. But, modest they were. For starters I had to build a fence around it, as it happened to be a favorite hangout for the local bovines. Then, a course, shovel it out, as the bovine crowd has a way of leavin' "things" behind. But, little by little I got it cleaned up.

Once it was cleaned up and I'd actually managed to get a door up, clean up the dirt oven in the corner and fix a cook top from an oil drum, arrange some kinda stove pipe, it was quite pleasant; 'cept when it rained. I suppose I'd been in about a week, when a heck of a storm come by. I mighta forgot ta mention, there were no windows, no chinkin' (mud) 'tween the logs and the roof was made from split cedar, with dirt piled on top. I had put up some plastic sheetin' inside, break the wind, but when this storm got wound up, the sheetin' was flappin and slappin'. Then come the rain, blowin' in sideways, right through the logs, and workin' its way through the split cedar roof, now mixed with dirt and gettin' slapped about, by the sheetin'. I didn't have electricity, and the candles went out, first good gust and shortly the rain had put out the fire, too. There was one spot I could stand, right in the middle, where the plastic woundn't slap me around, so there I stood; mud drippin' on my head, dark, plastic flappin' all around, no light, rain comin' every which way and no hope of makin' supper, less I wanted mud. I remember tellin' myself that very same thing; "this, too, will pass".

And, it did.

Have a nice night!

Best

1 comment:

  1. Well .... that was quite an adventure! And it gets kinda funny .... about 10 years or so down the road. :D Reminds me of my bull moose and the rickety outhouse story. Suffice it to say, dying in the outhouse was not the write up I wanted in the newspaper. Very happy you have more satisfying accommodations!

    ReplyDelete