Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Heart of the Matter

Good Evenin'

One peach of a day! Made 50 degrees; sunny with a gentle breeze. Got a couple a books sold, fed my ponies, the bull, horse and chickens, over at the neighbors and headed out ta see the burros.

Had a nice visit, coffee and conversation with the owners and got ta work on Ms. Jazz. As usual, she was a little stand offish, for starters; had her baby in with her and the babe was all scoots and spooks, but, case I'd work on her, here, near future, I figured she might as well watch me work things out with her mom. Learn that it's alright. Jazz's feet were pretty bad and she was limpin' pretty good, but we got settled, eased a rope over her ears and worked a little on givin' to pressure. She really started gettin' the idea and we cleaned her feet up pretty fair and happy. Watched her walk off, once I open the gate and she wasn't limpin' any more. Real proud of her; I think she was just a baby when another farrier got in a fight with one a her siblings and the little burro died. So, her bein' kinda slow ta trust, sure ain't her fault.

Anyway, turns out the owners are thinkin' take 'em all to the sale barn, feed gettin' so pricey; the owners gettin' older. So, course I had ta open my mouth; offerin' ta bring Gramma Daisy and Grampa Stump over here, run with my bunch. Like ta take Jazz, too, but I barely keep the horses fed. See what happens. Will try ta find a home for the babes though; sale barn's a real gamble. Sure hate ta see any of 'em end up on the train ta Mexico.

Funny how it makes ya think; like Jazz overcomin' her doubt and really tryin' ta trust. So much heart comin' from a "stupid donkey". And, us humans, supposedly, "so smart", and seems so rare we, ever, approach that kinda heart, or half so earnestly.

Got ta be time, try ta figure this "non-profit" thing, really take donations, try and get a chunk a land. Way things are goin', I gotta bunch a more four legged friends, bound ta be lookin' for homes.

Oh, well, sure keeps me outta trouble and inta smiles!

Have a good night.

Best,

No comments:

Post a Comment