Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Icin' on the Cake

Good Evenin'

And, yup, another peach! Bright, sunny and breezy.

And, yup, I did wake up slow, again. I think it was my spontaneous birthday dinner, this time; couldn't let the 6-0 go by without somethin' a little different. So, I remembered there was a "vacuum packed" pouch of instant mashed potatoes in the cupboard; amazing stuff! Boil some water, add butter and milk, stir in the magic powder and wham, two quarts of hot, creamy mashed potatoes; sprinkle with parsley and we're talkin' "gewer-may". And, a course, I'm only gonna turn 60 once, so I ate the whole pot. Then, we had to come up with a cake and by now I was startin' to succumb to the influence of the potatoes, so it had to be a pretty quick one. And, sure enough, inspiration struck; I keep some oatmeal cookies around, case breakfast comes up short. So, two oatmeal cookies, gently heated on top of the toaster, to soft and chewy, with peanut butter icing and a wee piece of chocolate, washed down with a nice cup a milk and the party was complete; not to mention a grand success.

But, yes I did wake up a little slow and, no, I don't reckin' I'll do it again, any time soon. That package a potatoes had to be ten years old and it took fifteen minutes of blowin' my nose, 'fore my brain re-commenced receivin' oxygen, once I was upright, come mornin'.

Anyway, all in all, a wonderful day. Got quite some wrapped up in the office, ate a good "normal" breakfast and headed out ta find the bunch. Walked around my hilltops, north and south, check out most a my valleys, but couldn't see a sign. Finally, sat in the grass, somewhere about the middle, figured I'd just soak up the sun and the wind a while, see if they'd wander in ta sight; which they didn't, but it was a gorgeous sit. Big blue sky and wind, and grass dancin', and a crow, ridin' the flow, high above; risin' and fallin', gainin' and losin', glistenin' in the sun, as he wheeled and circled and caught the golden rays just so. Callin' out, a joke no doubt, as he feigned defeat and disappeared over the ridge for the last time. The Which puppy, returnin' from a swim, rollin' and rubbin' herself in the dirt, then dozin' on her back, feet in the air, seemin' as happy, as happy can be.

When I made it back, the bunch was in, see if I mighta soften my stance, I reckin'; "no hay 'till November!". But, where I don't have much choice, it was just a hug and a scratch; wee prayer they might inderstand.

So, yup, I made up some for my otherwise, hijacked kinda birthday and hopeful here, pack it in early; so what a go at 60 is like.

Have a nice night!

Best


jeune

2 comments:

  1. Not sure about the potatoes, but the rest of your birthday meal sounds quite tasty, especially the chocolate-peanut butter combo, which is always a grand treat for the taste buds. You may be 6-0, but in your heart you are still, like your name, "jeune" - young.

    Love how you describe the scene around you, and the good company of your pup. If I close my eyes, I can see it well, different as it is from my city and ocean world.

    Yesterday I was close to the beach, at a place that overlooks the Pacific, sun shining, reflecting in diamonds of light off of the water. Then, in the far distance, out to sea, just the hint of white, like a wall sitting on the water, but not reaching all the way to the sky. Slowly this wall advanced towards shore, obscuring the ocean as it progressed, eliminating the sparkle of reflected sunlight, hiding the boats and surfers, until the entire beach was hidden from sight, and tendrils of fog floated onshore. It took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good life outside ... now that's the stuff heaven is made of ... crow telling a joke ... laughing ... musical the way they play on the wind.

    Oatmeal cookies with peanut butter ... nice idea ... might have to try that. Sounds like a good "cake" to me.

    Love the Which pup ... happy happy. Knows what's good!

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete