Friday, June 29, 2012

His Story

Good Afternoon

Well, there was a softness in the air this mornin'; kinda like someone pulled the plug on the heater, been on a month or better. Right now, it's not even 2pm and it's clouded up and sprinkled a bit, which ain't really rain, but even clouds are a welcome relief and a sprinkle is a sprinkle.

Got a lot of wonderful feedback on that note I posted about Queenie, yesterday. One a my friends, another guy, that also liked the question of "the lead mare" and the comments that were left, asked if I'd say somethin' about the male horses. I got quiet; he'd just touched on a question I'd been thinkin' on, quite some recent. Don't mean to be graphic, but societal norm is "castrate the boys."

And, it ain't hard ta figure, special with horses; a twelve hundred pound horse, bound ta "get that mare", well, that can be a problem. And, the world gettin' smaller as population grows, cities and neighborhoods expand; it's no small question. Look at all the commotion about the wild horses, price a real estate, ranchers tryin' ta make a livin', climate change, grass and water supplies low; and lower yet, for some want it all.

So, 'out pretendin' we'll sort it all out, right here, I'll just say, I got two mustang stud colts in the corral and three "geldings" out on pasture with the mares. And, I think about all of 'em; the stud colts I can't turn loose, price a hay, more mouths to feed, the geldings and the parts they lost, that surely affect their whole experience of life, from metabolism to social and family life and the mares, their wantin', knowin', "life must go on", my knowin' there's implications and bills ta pay.

And, so, ya might can see my dillemma; the boys that are "natural" I can't let out and the one that are out, well, they aren't exactly "natural". I suppose only thing I can hope is to sell a lot of books, buy a lot of land, but even then, I reckin', a point'd come, where "geldin" some colts'd, sooner or later, come due.

So, what's "natural" and what'd Creator intend? I guess there's a point where we have ta manage and Creator knew it well in advance; and so, we do and so, hopeful, we all adjust, geldings, mares, studs and humans.

And, meantime, I'll be thinkin' 'bout stories, might illuminate the boys, just some, both the geldings out yonder and stud colts, here by the barn; me in the middle, tryin', make it work for all.

Have a great day!

Best,

jeune

1 comment:

  1. So, I have to ask .... are the geldings happy? If no land turns up in a few years or money for fencing, would the Mustangs be happier being with the rest of the herd if they were "fixed?" ... more room to run and more company? I'm trying to understand the "ouch" factor though.

    Since we humans are the only ones who can control the overpopulation of animals and with folks not able to care for them, even though they'd like to (money just not there for all the hay, food, fence, and Vet bills), I'd have to think altering (politically correct term for it I guess) is a good thing. I love to see new life, but if we could go back about 50 years or 30 years even when there was more pasture land, it might be more practical to have babies ... love them!

    I had both of my Girls fixed (pups) as soon as I could, spaying being very invasive and can result in a weak bladder requiring meds all their lives, infection, etc., but I wasn't going to risk bringing more puppies into the world, especially with all of the animals being gassed in the shelters. Many more dogs, cats, horses out there that need saving. You've done that with your Mustangs. Might have to take it one step further, but of course, you'll know if that's what you want to do ... not me ... I'm just on the outside looking in.

    Me? Well, I'm pretty much against any kind of breeding until all the gas chambers at the shelters and even at the very kind rescue agencies are empty. We live in a hard world for animals. God forgive us for what we do to the animals He/She gave us to take care of, and some end up emaciated, in loud scary shelters, and the animals are full of disease and insect infestations. My Hannah was a mess when I got her ... lot of Vet bills .. but good now with surgery, good food, and lots of attention ... that's the big part ... attention. They respond so well being part of a pack.

    Aren't you glad you brought that up ... laughing! I just have seen so much sadness ... I didn't want to add to it, but that's just me. So what if the shelter or rescued animals aren't fancy "papered" ... Creator doesn't care. They need us to help them.

    I'm done now ... sort of ... :D :D :D.

    One more thing, no judgment ... just my humble opinion. We all have to listen to our own insides about "fixing." I've known some very responsible breeders of dogs who take their pups back if it doesn't work out ... no matter what age the dog is ... now, they're good folks. That is, if the breeder is still alive and kicking, not in a nursing home. It's a tricky balance.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete