Monday, August 6, 2012

Tubby

Good Mornin'

And, another beautiful day in the neighborhood. Rained quite some last night, or early this mornin', which is just a little different from the usual late afternoon deal. Makes me think we are "fixin' to transition" toward some a that dry, early fall weather. See what happens.

Did, finally find the wild bunch, evenin' yesterday; I hadn't had the "gas" ta walk too much, but pushed myself a little, last night, give it a go. They have been up in the trees quite some, recent, I figure, with the mosquitoes and all, but I caught a glimpse of Queenie, way out younder by the old homestead, venturin' out just a bit, where there was a good breeze, carryin' the mosquitoes off to the north.

So, good to see them! I reckin' I was a little shy, too, horses so partial to "the herd" and my bein' quite absent, of late, wasn't sure how they'd take me. But, they all seemed quite willin' accept me for what I am; a human. One of the "curious lot", but, by and large, sympathetic; glad maybe, erratic as I may be, that I do show up and I do care.

So, I visited with each one, lendin' a scratch with the curry and checkin' for cuts and bruises, hooves for wear. And, I'm always curious, see how Tubby's doin'. He and I goin' back the futhest and knowin' I made some big mistakes with him, way back when I first got back with the horses, I always wonder where and how's his attitude. And, general, it's the same; he's busy, his agenda, eatin' or hangin' with Big, or wantin' one a the girls to stand still, so he can get situated and rub the flies off his face. But, almost always, special when it's been a few days, almost two weeks, this time, my trip to L.A. and all, he'll put his nose in my neck and just stay there, breathin', about a minute. Always fascinates me.

No surprise, really, when ya consider the size of a horses nose and how that might reflect "what's important" to them, and the fact their eyes don't focus so well up close, but what would it be like to know the world, so largely, by smell? And does the smell conjure up memories, like it might for us, or just a feelin', what it was like to be together, back then, chasin' cows? Who I am, or who I have been? Maybe, where I've been? Maybe, what I've been through late? Maybe what I've been eatin'; like all those spicy Indian dishes, my friends fed me in L.A.? Maybe all of the above and more, I likely can't imagine.

But, how I love their company; their contentment with so little. The herd, grass, water, local politcs, the weather, day and night, the seasons, news on the wind, the humans that come and go; so full, truly, yet, nothing somehow, compared to all the things we seem to "need". And, all processed and shared without a word, in some silent bio-chemical world, I doubt we can imagine.

I suppose it just touches that part a me, longs so much, to experience life fully, beyond all my "little" ideas and desires; free from my plans and designs on all the things I "think" will make my life "better", tomorrow. To be alive and together; fascinated and complete, in the boarderless world of alive, NOW.

Have a nice afternoon!

Best,

jeune

2 comments:

  1. Reading this just made my heart so glad, glad you are getting your energy back after your trip, glad you had found the bunch, glad for the love you share with them, glad for that final infinite description of the NOW, just plain glad.

    And those questions and reflections on smell, the thought processes of horses.... most folks never even give those a moment's consideration .... something to ponder.

    Thanks as always for so freely sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading something very intereting from a person who is atune to animals. The article was talking about why dogs smell your breath. It went on to say that they can "smell" emotions; love, peace, anxiety, fear, restlessness. Some animals are so well balanced that they try to help you through whatever it is that's making you need balance .... they breathe their balance into you. My Girls do that, smell breath and then breathe back ... some people they just walk away from ... not scared or fearful, just walk away. Interesting. Tubby of all beings knows you ... maybe some things more than you know or will ever know about yourself. Healing isn't it.

    Happy to hear the bunch has been united with their human. It's a good feeling. :)

    Welcome home once again. There are many welcome home moments it seems. Very beautiful.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete