Saturday, September 22, 2012

Big

Good Evenin'

And, yes, another "butte"! Fact, I been sayin' that so much, I'm startin' to get nervous; so much I should get done 'fore winter, I'm busy mailin' books and these beautiful fall days'll end soon enough. But, cross my fingers, fall's just like that out here; cool nights, days and days a sunshine.

Anyway, had a long talk with a friend today about Big sleepin' in front of the water cooler, and another friend that took issue, with his "chauvinistic" ways and a course me, who couldn't see anything wrong. Anyway, we went round and round 'till finally I unerstood, that I hadn't told the whole story. Or, I did, far as it went, but I might notta shared another piece a the puzzle which casts a very different light on the scene. And that'd be Big's very serious treatment of his "Big" role.

Big was a fairly famous ropin' horse I run into trimmin' for a rancher up north. The rancher happened to mention he was gonna get rid a him, where he'd been used so much, he'd got navicular; which is sorta like the human carpal tunnel syndrome, only it takes shape in the hoof from poundin' down arenas, chasin' cows and slammin' on the brakes. When a horse is good and the stakes are high, some fellas won't quit and they'll give a horse pain killers, keep on goin'; good for the fella, not for the horse. And, Big's got such a big, sweet heart, he'd probably kept on anyway, never doubtin' his owner.

Anyway, I asked the rancher what he had in mind, and he didn't answer direct, but indicated, worse case, he'd fetch 30 cents a pound; that would be meat money. I told him I'd be back in the mornin' with 200 dollars and a trailer, if that'd be alright, on top a the hundred he owed me for trimmin' the others.

So, big came home and that rancher got the better parta that month wages. And, it's hard to explain, but my other horses just loved Big and Big musta known, 'cause he just loved 'em back and right from "go", just took on the whole bunch like his own; real protective. He didn't take no flack, but he sure watch out for them all. Kinda touchin' too, his sore feet and all, but he'd never miss a beat. Even, he never really took a girlfriend, like the other fellas might, but he'd always watch out for the bunch. Rare occasions, when I mighta been out late, moonlight, I might find 'em all nappin', 'cept Big, standin' watch.

So, daylight, like the other, them all lettin' him drink and nap, right in front a the tank, maybe I was seein' somethin', y'all mighta not; which's them all mindin' their manners, for someone they knew and loved, like maybe we can't begin, had watched over them all night, since the day he set foot on the place. I swear sometimes, 'tween the pain in his feet and the way he takes care a the bunch, I see him wake up from a nap like that, and it's no wonder he looks kinda dopey; but, as the Navajo say, "that's just the way he is"; he don't no nothin' but love for his herd.

So, "Chauvin" mighta had his ways and ideas, but, far as I can tell, they got little to do with a horse like Big, and the bunch that love him, the way that they do.

Have a nice night!

Best


jeune

2 comments:

  1. The Bunch has their own system ... doesn't necessarily match up to human systems ... but it sure works for them. How funny that humans would project their own thinking on a horse's thinking. Our Ancestors learned many lessons from the animals. Big is respected, but he holds a very important position ... the others know that. Big, you're a good guy. ♥

    Sunny and cool wind here ... got my chores done outside .. now for the inside ones.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bittersweet story, and so glad you told it: bitter for the way that rancher abused the trust the horse put in him; sweet for how you, he and the bunch have created a bond of love and trust between you.

    Seems though, from all the napping he's doing, that Big may be nearing the end of his road, and that like a beloved grandpa figure, the bunch sense it coming and just want to love him while they can.

    ReplyDelete