Saturday, September 15, 2012

Family A Fair

Good Evenin'

And, another peach of a day! Sunny and mild.

And, the bunch seems to have made peace with the fall arrangements, down on the south end. Come in this mornin' like I figured they would; check out doin's in the barnyard. They milled about some, checkin' out the burros and the boys, then moved off, back up the hill and into the woods, stoppin' for a snack, their favorite spot, just above the near low pasture, edge a the trees.

I hauled a tub a water over the hill, make sure they had a drink and patched a little more fence, way back. Took me back in, aways where they was grazin' and they followed me back out. I led 'em up the ridge to a pasture got some pretty good grass, just this side a the top and they all made the dash, when they figured my route, get a head a steam, make the last steep bank.

We got up the top and broke out the trees, but Big had a mission and proceeded to march up over to the big wide open. Don't know why he does things like that, but it sure is cute, watch everybody fall in. I guess that's just what "the boss" does; come up with a mission. And, I guess, that frees up the others, enjoy themselves and fuss over who's second, etc.

So, they all lined out; one, two, three, four, five and whoops. Graceful stopped in the middle of the pasture, lookin' back toward me and the woods; Rusty! I headed back into the woods, top of the steep bank and give a whistle; a plaintive knicker come from down the woods. I swear that boy got into the loco, somewhere along the line. Then here he comes head in the air and a little wild eyed, ziggin' and zaggin' through the trees and up the bank. Passed me and out into the pasture, 'bout knockin' Graceful over, " so happy ta see ya!". Graceful, swung her head give him a nip, then six and seven caught up with the bunch, who'd also stopped to wait. Then, they all disappeared, swishin' their tails, like Rusty mighta made 'em late, outta the sun and into the shade a the trees, headin' for the wide open, western slope.

Don't know why, but I never get tired, watchin' 'em do what they do; so much personality and attitude. So much stick together.

Have a nice night!

Best,
jeune

2 comments:

  1. They've got big business to do! I don't think I'd ever get tired of watching them either. All those personalities in those graceful beautiful bodies. Hard to not hang out with them all day long. But, after awhile, the duty of the human being calls, bills to pay, emails to answer, etc. I like that Coyote song Don Williams sings where the man just disappears over the ridge one day with the coyotes, singing their song.

    Good day to you, Jeune.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Rusty's a hoot, a real character! But that raises a question: Do horses eat loco weed by accident, or on purpose, to "self-medicate" (get high)? From Graceful's reaction, seems like it might be the latter, but I was just wondering. Anyway, enjoyed your description of the scene, and like Peaceful said, I can see why you never get bored watching the bunch.

    "Fall arrangements" - nice euphemism for having to fence up the bunch to keep them safe from the hunters. Makes it sound so innocuous, in the face of deadly danger. Cool.

    ReplyDelete