Monday, September 17, 2012

House Call

Good Evenin'

And, yes, another peach! But, ain't no doubt the evenings a cooled off. Takin' to startin' a fire, first thing the mornin', lay my jeans on the stove, take off the chill. But fine days!

Head out to check old Tubby's leg again this mornin', once I got the office business on the right track. Went straight up over the ridge out back, figurin' noon time they like ta shade up in under the ridge, or in the grove, down by the dirt tank. Didn't know how he'd take me comin' back today, where last night I'd put some iodine on it and I think that mighta stung some, judgin' by the way he lit off. But, I wanted to see it good, lighta day and make sure he didn't have a stick stuck in there; maybe rinse it off with the jug a water I took with me. And, sure enough they was shade up in the grove, down by the pond and he did fuss a little when he seen me with the jug again; walked about here and there through the trees, seein' if he could hide behind one a the girls. But, soon enough he figured I was serious and I knelt down and got a look; felt around and squeezed it a little get out any puss, or debris might remain.

From the look of it, he mighta come down on a sharp sage stump, or somethin', right under his left front knee; a contusion or abrasion, I think they'd call it. And, it had bled some, but didn't look like there was anythin' imbedded, there wasn't any heat around it, no bad smell and little puss.

But he did take ta prancin' again, when I rinsed it off; I shoulda figured it might reactivate the surroundin' iodine left from yesterday. But, once again he calmed down; I give up the jug and followed him around 'till he settled, and give him a good ear rub.

He's awful good and put up with all kinda insults over the years; my best, more miss than hit. But, somehow or other, I reckin' he knows I love him, and I suppose he loves me, more'n he'd like to admit. I give Queeny a kiss and Big a belly scratch; figured the others I'd catch up with later. Headed back, enjoyin' the sweet fall mix of warm sun and mild air.

And, god willin', we can visit man~ana. Have a nice night!

Best,


jeune

1 comment:

  1. Poor Guy. He must really trust you, because that had to hurt, and he knew it was coming. Kind of humbling when a big animal like that will let you fuss with them. Amazing. Heal up, Tubby. You're a good boy ... very special.

    Beautiful days here too with bright leaves and cool temps. These are the good old days right now ... just a magic moment every where you turn. :) Going to take my Stella for a walk and soak up the bliss.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete