Thursday, September 20, 2012

No Time Like the Present!

Good Evenin'

And, yes once again, just a peach of a day!

Woke up, pretty excited, I must say; handed out my first book yesterday and mailed my first "promo" copy, "thanks" to my friend Mary Williams Hyde, who kinda leaned in on behalf a Headlight, back when.

Anyway, I say excited, but, I suppose there was a little "nervous" in there, too. I was thinkin' about how local folks might take the book, how my perspective on horses is kinda different and that some might object; heck, my whole life is kinda different. I found myself remembering this old joke, about a sign in a Russian hotel: "please visit the local cemetary, where poets and authors are buried, daily from 9-5.". Anyway, I was ponderin' the question, when it hit me; "there's no such thing as a true story".

Anything recalled is fiction; no matter how many folks get together and agree, "yup, that's the way it was", it wasn't! If you want the truth, in any real sense, there's only one place you can, even come close, and that's now! Sure made me laugh!

The past is gone! And, there is no way, ever, really recall it; it takes a whole world to tell the truth and it only tells it once.

So, I happily proceeded to start signin' books, confident, that I could now tell my friends and neighbors, "don't worry, I made it all up!"; even the author's name, ice the cake. And, near as I can tell, this just might accomplish two important things; one, just maybe, folks'll start to question all kinda stories and two, the book is kinda fun. So, if it ain't "serious", maybe they can enjoy it all the more.

Anyway, like I say, it sure made me laugh, kinda like that movie they made, "The Never Ending Story", where the kid goes into the bookstore and the old owner says, "Don't read this one!".

And, I did get ta see the bunch today; I'd got a little behind on my water haulin'. Met 'em top a the hill, headin' for the barn; my wager. I stopped let 'em see the water tank drippin' and sure enough, they "bout face" and followed me down the hill to the drinker. Buckin' and fussin', all excited. Funniest part was see Big sidle up to the bar, drink his fill, then sit there suckin' his tongue and just, savorin' the drink and the notion, that whole tank, was just for him. Crack me up, where, nobody else'll dare drink while Big's there in front; so, everybody else, just sat there and fidget, lickin' their dry lips, while Big just sat there enjoyin'. He 'bout fell asleep, just soakin' up the atmosphere; everyone else, doin' their best, mind their manners.

What a bunch; always somethin'!
Have a nice night!

Best,
jeune

2 comments:

  1. Look at those Kids run!!! Now, that makes me happy ... see them all wild and free. Just like the book ... wild and free, not fact and fact, but a recall of days past in beauty.

    Big is funny ... bellying up to the bar and making the others wait their turn ... LOL! Kind of a stinker but a sweet one.

    I can feel the excitement all the way here! Stella's napping ... I guess she's not caught wind of it yet.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting reflection on memory, that slippery little mechanism. It starts to corrupt the data input almost as soon as our eyes, ears, and other senses download it into our brain, stirring in assumptions, prior knowledge and experiences, prejudices, etc.

    Big is definitely the alpha horse, if the others don't dare get close to the water when he's near it. Now, that's power! Any of them ever show signs of not being exactly content with their place in the social structure?

    ReplyDelete