Saturday, September 1, 2012

Reckinin' Wrecks

Good Afternoon

Well, a sweet cool mornin' and we squeaked past another full moon; "blue" moon, I'm told. Mares come in low, pasture down the hill, just, off chance, they might make a baby 'fore fall and maybe I should have considered the odds, "once in a blue moon", but I guess I'd made up my mind; "less things line up early, May or June, don't wanta see, anyone, carry a foal through the heat!", which'd be the case startin' off this time a year.

Anyway, did make some headway on our fence off The Bend and none too soon I reckin'; woke up this mornin' by a hoop and a holler, some car bein' raced up the road. Six o'clock in the mornin', first day a bow season; hunters! And, sound of things, already a six pack down.

Occurred to me the "scary" part, folks get out here and "think" there's no law; that laws all about "officers" and "rangers", lawyers and judges. Fact is we don't have any a that, but nature has it's own and by contrast some tougher. And, nobody likes a wreck.

Kinda reminds me, my horse mentor Tom, someone asked him about young horses buckin' and him sayin', essential, "I just don't go there; why put a worry like that in the head of a horse.". Always kept that consideration real close, over the years, workin' with young ones and it always worked out pretty good.

Another favorite a mine, was a quote from a fella trained herd dogs; "if you're trainin' a pup and he's doin' somethin' wrong, accordin' to you, but right, to his instinct, correct 'em later. Correct 'em at the wrong time, and he'll start to figure you don't understand and can't be trusted!".

Same way with a horse, you push 'em into a situation, where they're clearly uncomfortable and then they blow, what's a horse supposed ta think? "Clearly this person doesn't understand anything and I sure, can't trust 'em!".

So, ya, I never met a critter, really liked a wreck, whether them or someone else; it just perpetuates the doubt and fear, that we can't understand and there's no point tryin'. And that's a desperate world; like the french for no hope.

So, I'll go fix fence and post a few signs; just a reminder, that even out here there are limits and boundaries and we oughten suppose there's no law; ya get too wild and fail to observe, the results are not always fun. Ask old Freeman, but ya can't, 'cause he already passed away and I reckin' the hunter, pulled the trigger, mighta wished he'd a little more thought things out.

So, good for hunters and sure, have a beer, but, again, quote old Tom, "feel, timin' and balance'll, sure get ya down the road"; could be happier, long run. Trust and a smile.

Have a nice day!

Best,

jeune

1 comment:

  1. The hunters will come here too ... got my blaze orange for me and my one Girl who is left ... my little one passed on. I don't take it well when they get on my land. I don't mind walking up to them either. Always a smile and a calm voice, always tell them to go elsewhere, and point out the signs. Never had one return. Maybe they saw my Spirit Bear with me. I think so. :)

    Feel, timin', balance ... I like that ... going to burn that in my memory card. Good words, Jeune. Thank you!

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete