Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Time and Pressure

Good Evenin'

And, it is rainin'. Welcome fact; we'uz dryin' out pretty bad. And, give me a good excuse take a nap, though I can, given day, turn most anything that way.

So, here's a little poem I run across today, writer's almanac and I just plain liked it;

At the County Fair, 1956
by Charles Darling

For a nickel, a machine
called An Expression of Faith
would take your dime
and squash it.
All tubes and gears and lights,
the thing would groan, squeak,
fart, smoke, and finally drop
a little silver oval in your hands,
hot as a pistol,
with Jesus's face on one side
and the Lord's Prayer on the other.
I took my medallion
home for Grandma,
but she wouldn't keep it
because it was Catholic
and had "trespasses"
instead of "debts"
and left out the part
about the kingdom
and the power and the glory.
She gave it back
and I went downtown
and set it on the railroad track.
And after the train went by
I had a piece of silver
smooth as glass and that
says something about
power and glory, by God.

***

Made a run to the tradin' post today; I'd been puttin' it off for better'n a week. I threw a couple a flakes, first thing, outta the truck. Julio was already waitin' for his but Ruben was still out, down the run, lookin' at something. I give a whistle and Ruben turned with a jump and come up the hill, ziggin' and zaggin', half humpin' ta buck, dippin' and tossin' his head, like a half hearted terror, too happy ta get serious, come up short and tall about 10 yards away, once he was back, the corral, case I forgot how handsome he was. I laughed and said "come on", pointin' his pile a hay. And, with a shake of his head, he dropped his nose and zeroed in.

All pretty simple, but it sure made me smile; when these boys come in off the forest, by way the Forest Service Pens, seems ta me they was pretty well squished. Young and scared; abnormal. I know they been here a while, but I kinda think they're past it and I like ta think that while, just give 'em the chance they needed.

How amazin' is that? Just a little time!

Have a nice night.

Jeune

jeune

2 comments:

  1. I like the mind picture of Ruben coming in. To be free of a painful past is a miracle. Thank you for providing that for them ... some folks turn their heads. Then he gave you a laugh gift. :) Seems a fair trade to me. ♥

    Have to go up town myself. I have some homemade blueberry pie and need vanilla ice cream ... got company coming!

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Squished." What a great word to describe their wounded souls!

    ... and @Peaceful - you are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete