Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Neighbors

Good Mornin'

Well, just when I figured it wasn't gonna rain any time soon and pulled the tarp, it rained. Nothin' over whelming; a shower early, likely four o'clock. And, a pretty fair cloud cover, Chaco to Taos, least what I can see; a little thinner to the southeast.

And, truthfully, it wasn't so much the rain, or lack, that inspired me pull the tarp, it was a pack rat. I'd been hearin' the carryin' on, and seen droppings about the house, tent, and finally figured we needed to talk; the sweet rodent, having already stored up several pounds of pigweed under the tarp and eaten a nice new hole in my nice new tarp. So, I give the house a good sweep, pulled the tarp and uncovered the nest, outside, under the tarp, north side of the "foyer"; my new friend, lookin' up sweetly, when I discovered his/her camp, fully decorated with cooking utensils I'd been missin', weeds, cactus, trimmins of horse hoof, a tin cup and a tube of Ivermectin, and most of the back side a my blanket, nicely woven together into a pretty fair sleepin' bag.

I guess, I might notta looked too friendly, as he/she didn't wait for a discussion, but high tailed it East for the barn and I raked up the debris. Mixed emotions, some, as they are amazingly joyful critters; something about the way they move, judgin' by the sound, fits and starts, suggestin' random outburst of happiness, at all the wonderful junk available for furnishin' a nice house.

Anyway, hopeful, I rearrange the tarp for winter, that new hole can fit sommer's it won't matter much and, seems my rodent friend, has found a new apartment, just close enough to visit, but not so close so's to impose; good enough.

And, I'm supposed to run up to T.A. lunch time, with my neighbors, see Sandy and her friends, up at the wildhorse sanctuary, so the neighbor can look at her collection of stray dogs, see if any might work on their ranch; it's a rideshare, where I get to finally meet Headlight, the world famous buckin' horse we saved from the auction. So, I guess I'll leave'r there, get my chores done, 'fore I go.

Have a great day!

Best,

P.S. That's Headligh, up top, photo courtesy of Mary Williams Hyde, www.buckaroocountry.com
jeune

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had a good encounter with Headlight ... he sure has a presence about himself. Excited to hear the goings on!

    I try to make peace with all of the little critters here too. I have a wolf spider (nonvenomous) who patrols the perimeter of the inside of the cabin. They don't build webs, they hunt. Keeps the bugs down. If he ends up in the bed, he's going outside! No mice as of yet. Could be in the walls for all I know .. haven't bothered the inside. Oh well. Had some squirrels trying to hide food under the cabin, and they were soooo noisy, I had to evict them. They stood up in the trees and cussed me in squirrel talk ... my goodness, I didn't know they knew such language! :)

    Always something to fix isn't there. The hole can be covered up with a tin can lid? My Grandma used to do that a lot. She didn't waste anything. Nailed stuff like that on the floor too. Wasn't fancy, but it sure worked. Never seen a mouse yet who could chew through metal, but I haven't been to your part of the woods either ... LOL! :D

    It's a beautiful day in the Northwoods, little sun, little breeze, and cool temps.

    Can't wait to hear about your visit!

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete