Friday, September 21, 2012

The Rumble

Good Evenin'

And, yes, another "butte"! Did get runnin' a little, try and ship a bunch a books and make the tradin' post; get back for the horses run outta water. All worked mostly, with the exception of the 100% sugar, breakfast I got late at the "post". But, by and large, I weathered the storm, help of a wee nap.

Sure was a day, though; time I got down to the drinker, the horses was there. And, yes, Big was standin', front and center over the barrel; everyone else waitin'. Fact, someone asked me 'bout that today; seemed like they thought it was wrong for him to be like that.

Well, I hauled off down to the low tank, after fillin' up "Big's Bowl", quarter mile west, make sure that was topped up and let the truck die, there on the hill, next to the bunch, way back. Big had plumb lay down and passed out, I suppose after drinkin' his fill; everybody else still waitin', now nappin'. I climbed through the fence, nice and easy, and, eased over to a harmonious little spot, just other side and down wind a the bunch; scot down, just ta "hang" and soak up the quiet. Sat there, quite some, just enjoyin' the rumble of the breeze in my ears; the ponies all dozin'. Big Blue, cinnamon dust, sage and rabbit brush, all in bloom a gold, pin~on and boulders, deckin' the long valley halls; nothin' but still and rumble of breeze in my ears. Water forgot, all a doze; it was quite a while we sat. Then Big woke up and sat up; lickin' his lips and lookin' around, sleepily, all his angels standin' by. Time ta get on with the day. Ah, but what a moment; couldn't see anything, I'd ever call wrong.

Have a nice night!

Best, Always
jeune

1 comment:

  1. The wind does "rumble" in your ears just sitting there in the breeze doesn't it ... great description. I could see the picture you were painting ... I might of dozed off a bit with the bunch.

    I suppose they look up to Big ... all "packs" have a leader. If they wanted to wander off on their own, they would I expect. Must have been nice to look in on them in their world. What a gift.

    Trees turning color fast here, wind/rain/snow today ... can't decide what it wants to do. Sun tomorrow though. Might get out and take some pictures with mighty dog, Stella. The change of seasons no matter where you live brings an excitement ... maybe even a restlessness. I really love it!

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete