Friday, March 1, 2013

Best Laid Plans

Good Evenin'

Well, sunny and mild; almost made 50 degrees.

And, I did get my bath, put on some clean cloths and headed for my rendez-vous. But I was closin' the gate when I heard a voice; old fella from up north, lives in the woods, I hadn't seen all winter. And, as usual, he was needin' a lift. Well, I was runnin' late, so I told him pile in and I figured we'd come up with a plan, where I knew my friend's truck, my lift for groceries, would only hold two in the cab.

He was needin' a few things from the store and I couldn't just leave him alone; he's seventy somethin' and not in very good shape. So, time we got to the post office, where I'd meet my ride, I'd figured, take him on to the tradin' post, let my ride go on to town; hope my u-joints was good for one more trip.

Lucky my ride was familiar with folks and the area, so she got the drift right off the bat; she's also kind and agreed to wait, make a run next week when we could both go. And, off we went to the tradin' post, get the old fella supplies.

All went, fair well, got him there and took him home; made him buy us coffee at the cook shack, where I knew he hadn't seen anybody in months. And, he was fair choked up when we bid "how-do", with only a short walk home, up a muddy road I wasn't gonna try, with my u-joints hangin' on threads.

He ain't exactly your average Joe; bounced around when he was young, came up this way for a "commune", once was, out in the hills to the east, but he'd took care a cows as a teenager and sure does love a horse; ended up caretakin' for a movie star had a place just north. He got religion pretty heavy as an older sort, so we stuck to stories of his kin and younger days, 'cause once he gets goin' on religion, you might as well caller a day.

Anyway, I'd been wonderin' if he was alright, so it was good ta see him and lend a hand. The roads dry up, I reckin' his kin'll start ta visit again. And, he makes another year, I reckin' I'll see him next winter.

Felt good, I got a bath, all the same!

Have a good night!

Best,
jeune

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like the "day" had other ideas ... sweet how that works out. Glad the North Friend made it through the winter. It's a kind think you've done. :)

    Never know where the day might take you, but it always ends up inside.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete