Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pine Spirit

Good Evenin'

And, another peach; warmer still and crystal clear. Can't say nothin' but "thanks", for a day like that.

But, I can see the cold gettin' to the ponies; even with short rations, they eat and pass out, lyin' in the sun like small beached whales. Took some doin' this afternoon, convince 'em that a flake and a half was far as I'd go, but we don't have hunters for a week, or so, and once I convinced 'em I wouldn't give up, got 'em started, I opened the gate to the north end and they figured it fair compensation. Took off on the fly, headin' for the last patch a sunlight, make the best of the last sprigs of grass.

I checked the pond for ice and headed back to the barn, arm a fire wood scooped on the way. Threw a flake for the boys and went for more, gatherin' pieces of an old pin~on, dry to strands of pure spirit, as it stood in the arms of a grand old cedar. Sometimes wood like that is hard to burn; it looks so charmin', all grey and gold and dark carmel. Years in the makin', years in the dryin', truly a work of art. But, a reminder I quess, that we all come and go, where those are the pieces make the old wood burn bright.

Anyway, a friend sent me a poem of Hafiz; a persian poet of some reknown, lived some 700 years back. I liked it pretty good, so I thought I'd pass it along.

http://www.thesongsofhafiz.com/arberry.htm

 Have a nice night!

Best,
jeune

2 comments:

  1. Your description of the wood, "dry to strands of pure spirit," wow, powerful metaphor, powerful image, powerful writing. It's beyond dry, so why is it hard to burn? Something to try and wrap my brain around. A paradox.

    Glad to hear the hunters are gone for now. May the ponies get lots of grass in their bellies before the men return. Stay safe out there, Jeune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is too beautiful to burn ... but one must keep warm, and it does once again remind us, we are here in a temporary "state." Love the visual of it all ... smoke drifting upward, spirit set free.

    I must be a hopeless romantic:
    "Hafiz, if thou wouldst win her grace,
    Be never absent from thy place;
    When thou dost see the well-loved face
    Be lost at last to time and space."

    Such completion of heart, with many levels of meaning for me.

    Warmth from inside to outside,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete