Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Cows Have It

Good Evenin'

And, a pretty fair day. A little cooler, with a low pressure system bringin' in a little cool air from the north. But, by and large, not too shabby.

Kind of a "ketchup" day, where I been hustlin' some all week it seems; special yesterday, runnin' off to deliver books and, just possible, a tad overdone, with my makeshift, pure sugar breakfast at the tradin' post. I do try to look for somethin' moderate healthy, but look as I might, the pickin's are slim, where they cater most to the oilfield fellas and I wouldn't say they're a "health leanin'" bunch.

Anyway, excitement today was our neighbors to the north, movin' their cows back home. I had the boys out on the run, and they was all a bother, cows and horses comin' up their road. And, I reckin' I give the wives a wee thrill, when I yelled over the fence, askin' if any were ridin' mares; Ruben and Julio doin' their best "prance and blow". "Why, yes, are those stallions?". I took a look at the boys, as I walked out to gather 'em in and noticed, that prancin' as they might, they were stayin' as far away as they could from the cows. "I reckin' we'll be alright", I yelled back across the run, as the boys, happily pranced back to the barn. Mares or not, a hundred head a cows, trucks and riders, that was a lot for a couple a boys from the woods and the barn was lookin' fairly fine.

Even the bunch, in for a flake, decided to head for the hills, leavin' their flakes behind.

Otherwise, a little corespondence, a little firewood, a start on cleanin' the barn out for winter hay and a wee hike around the back, check on the bunch , spot my gates from the ridge and the valley for the absence of hunters; all quiet, peaceful and pretty, the sun comin' in low from the west.

And, it's way passed bedtime.

Have a nice night!

Best,
jeune

2 comments:

  1. That must have been quite the band of noise marching down the road! Splitting the quiet. Must have been a sight.

    Sugar sure drops you in a hole once it burns off ... had to give it up. Causes inflammation too I hear.

    So, peace reigns again in your neck of the woods ... ours too.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those horses sound just like junior high school kids, preening for the girls, who preen back. Nice to have the day off from the hunters. Reminds me of one year when I was watching the Tour de France live via satellite. Here comes the peleton, when all of a sudden a farmer decides to take his cows up the road from a pasture on one side, to the barn on the other. Cows get caught in the middle of over 130 riders, and the riders are laughing so hard they can barely stay on their bikes.

    ReplyDelete