Friday, November 16, 2012

Rags to Riches, and Back Tomorrow

Good Evenin'

Well, that was a day! Headed out for the tradin' post, pretty much soon as I fed; had to meet Sonja there for a "book signin'", which I missed yesterday, count a the poachers. Anyway, she's a peach; I used to trim her mule's feet, over in Gallina. She's real well read, an old, long time school teacher and "bleedin heart" liberal. So, when I took the first proof of the book over, few years back, see if she'd check my punctuation, she fell in love with the book and ordered 12 copies on the spot.

Anyway, since I spent pretty much every penny I had on the book, or hay, I hadn't been able to make the trip, deliver the books, so we finally settled on the tradin' post for the festive occasion; about half way in between. And, it was. Turned out tomorrow's her birthday and we signed all twelve. She was real pleased with the final product, even if her "punctuation" bit the dust, as I have some very opinionated help. (And yes I'm laughin' pretty fair!)

But let me tell you, you want opinions, try fabricatin' a book with volunteer help; I guess the math has somethin' to do "hush money" or, folks that figure, if they ain't gettin' paid, by god they have a right to an opinion. (And yes, now I'm laughin' way fair, as I'm quite sure my "help" is apt ta read this!)

Then a course as soon as it goes to press, I start gettin' urgent messages from concerned friends about serious grammatical problems! Anyway, most a my friends can't, don't or won't read anyway and the pictures are great, thanks to young Brandon Johnson, so, by and large the reviews have been great; it looks like it's worth it and it sits on a shelf just fine!

(I must be tired, everything strikin' my hill-airious this evenin'.)

Anyway, then I stopped at the cook shack, way home and old Larry starts goin' on about my breakin' horses like I was Wild Bill himself and 'fore ya know it, these two hunters, there havin' lunch, are pullin' out their wallets and books are changin' hands. I looked at old Larry after they left and he just started laughin'; "we'll make you rich yet!". Eighty years old, but his sense a humor is good as a six year old gets.

Anyway, good news is a spent my last penny mailin' a book to the Enchantment Periodical and came home with 5000 more!

And, yes, I do believe it's time for bed.

Have a nice evenin'!

Best,
jeune

2 comments:

  1. Oh that is rich about Wild Bill ... Laughing! It's good to have an active "hill-arious" side!

    I suppose everyone is "punctuated" differently ... the book has it's own life now ... riding on into minds/hearts all over the world. I can see a cowboy on his horse with the bunch following, riding into the eyes and galloping around in the head/heart, then coming out of mouths that go on to share the story. I think I'm related to an abstract painter someone down the line ... Laughing!

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonja sounds like someone I'd like to hang out with someday. Lots in common. And 12 copies, that's very cool. And then the serendipity of the hunters being there and (of course) wanting books. Why would they not? That book is a thing of beauty.

    As for the punctuation thing.... I can just imagine. After all, I'm thinking I'm likely on that list of the opinionated. Glad it's giving you cause to laugh.

    ReplyDelete