Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Where You are

Good Evenin'

Well, another peach and I did get after it pretty fair, though most of it "ketchup"!

Anyway, tomorrow's another day and a cold snap ain't the end of the world; look past a couple of pre-cipitous days and by Tuesday they're sayin' sunny and 55!

Did check on the ponies early; climbed the ridge and seen 'em grazin', down the valley. I was concerned where they didn't come in for a flake and there'd been a lot of comin' and goin' with the hunters and all. But, I made some breakfast and filled up the water tank, back of the truck and hauled on over the hill. Sure enough, my sense that the hunters were runnin' amuck, did have some fact behind; there were gates open here and there and human tracks where there shouldn't a been. So, I called the outfitter and asked him if he had a grip, or was figurin' ta get one anytime soon.

Really not a big deal, but thing is folks come out here and see (sort of) all this open space and imagine "they're free"! And, they are, but "free" don't mean ya throw everything out the window and that there's no one else on the planet. So, remindin' them there are and just 'cause they got an elk tag they don't own the ranch, well, it just puts things back in perspective.

Other night, about dark, I'd gone out to check the bunch. I was comin' back on the cross road and here comes a hunter up the hill. I was pretty surprised as the well "camoed" shape emerged from the dark; too late for hunters ta be about. Anyway, he's walkin' and starin' at his cell phone, almost right next to me, and I offer my slightly surprised "hello". It's almost pitch dark and we are in the middle of nowhere and he looks up, completely distracted and says, "oh, hello", and walks right on by, like we was on a street in Albuquerque, broad daylight and I was Joe Blow.

It's not that I was offended, but it ain't healthy, out here, walk around in a fog, and I might add special after dark; there might not be muggers or someone wants your wallet, but I know a few lions might like everything besides. So, my chewin' on the outfitters ear, wasn't just fer fun, but some a these fellas get so outside a themselves, if it takes a little shoutin' and stompin', get their attention, well, it just might save a life.

They go fogettin' North from South, start shootin' toward the ponies, they'll wish that lion had got 'em.

Anyway, there's my rant for the day, but dang folks freak me out, when they don't even know where they are! And, yes, I will now go read some "good books" full of reminders about pointin' fingers, patience and understandin'. I suppose one a my favorites is that one about the person that upsets you the most, is the lesson you most need to learn.

Have a great night!

Best,
jeune

2 comments:

  1. I always love how you play with words: "ketchup" - yeah, OK, "catch up," but when you think about it, ketchup is kind of a blended mish-mosh, and when one is catching up, it's a little bit of everything. I'm just saying....

    "Really not a big deal"... except in a way it is, because folks who don't really have a clue as to what real freedom is, just get to thinking that it's anything their narcissistic head tells them it is, and that no one and nothing else really matters. Clueless, just like your description of the citified, multi-tasking "hunter" checking out his email or whatever. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I hope you find a "grey" area in your reading. I figure it's good stewardship of the land and animals to ask folks if they "got a grip."

    Once when I was a bit younger, I had a cabin more remote than I do now. No car in my dirt drive because it was in the shop, and the nice folks at the garage had given me a ride home, but my cabin was looking pretty inhabited with shriveling flowers, projects in process, bird feeders partially full, etc. The land was very well posted "no hunting." Well, these 2 hunters all decked out with blaze orange and rifles set their rearends right on my porch steps just like their backsides belonged there because they thought I wasn't home! So, I quietly got out my pump shotgun, and flung the door open like the gates of hell had just burst upon 'em. I must say, it was all quite dramatic. :D After they catapulted themselves off the porch, they stumbled away with their eyes wide like full moons and mouths flapping like a loose sole on a boot ... muttering unintelligible words, with a few we're-sooooo-sorries thrown in. :D I never had to say a word though, but the "look" on my face must have been having quite a conversation with their frazzled psyches. My temper was a little faster to flare back then. Anyway, I never did see those boys again. I always hoped I didn't scare a few years off of them.

    I'm not for violence and drama, but I'm not really for breaking the law by trespassers who think the laws only apply to other folks. Some had more money than sense. Money on that land was just paper ... there was no power in it. I loved all my little critters.

    And that's my rant for the day. Laughing! Glad you called the outfitter, Poss. Happy to hear you had some "ketchup" today.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete