Thursday, November 22, 2012

The Rat Got Packed; North

Good Evenin'

And, ya, another peach! We did have a few high clouds off to the south over the San Pedros, and a gentle breeze, but, way pleasant for this time a year.

I suppose the excitement for the day, was relocatin' my pack rat. I borrowed a hav-a-hart trap from my neighbor and put in some dog food and just about the time I turned off the light, it'd done the deed. I got up and threw some rags on top, so my rodent friend wouldn't freeze to death and hauled it up the road to an old abandon cabin, about three miles north, after breakfast. I left her a jug a water and one a her old nests I'd raked up, full of hay and some old grain and wished her well.

I know it's just a rat, but we all have our short comin's and she was a happy critter; night time, the way she moved around, it sounded like she was hoppin' and skippin', like she was at the mall and everything was free. It was just, come to find out, she had an equal fascination for the outhouse, and that tripped my switch and spelled out her relocation.

Anyway, she looked around, when I opened the trap and scot under the house, and I dumped out her old nest and set up the jug; god willin' she'll have all she needs, get by 'til snow fall and food for the winter, hay for beddin'.

So, case ya ever wondered, if I'd lost my marbles, I reckin' yer question'd be about answered. But, I just gotta believe, we can get along, mice, human, horse and the lot.

Have a Thankful Evenin'!

Best, Always
jeune

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of relocating a critter ... seems like the right thing to do. Why can't we just be kind to our fellow travelers ... their lives deserve respect and honor. She even has supplies for her new abode ... you're a good caretaker of your corner of the Earth, Jeune.

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful simile to describe the rat "... sounded like she was hoppin' and skippin' like she was at the mall and everything was free." Made me think how we humans are sometimes like that pack rat, today of all days, with the malls most likely packed with folks trying to load up on more stuff to pack into their homes. Funny.

    If she'd developed a taste for the outhouse (ewwww!), good reason to relocate her. Rodents do carry diseases, and more likely in that case. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete