Thursday, January 10, 2013

My Own Best Counsel

Good Evenin'

And, not a bad day. Overcast, mostly, but mild; back in the forties.

And, I'm afraid I got kinda side tracked today; got into a bit of a wrestlin' match in my head. Just one a those things, where a friend says somethin' and you wanta believe the best, but it sure sounded like a fabrication, designed to support a very unhealthy point a view. And, accordin' to Chinese Astrology, never figured you'd hear that from me, right, but accordin' to Chinese Astrology, I was born under the sign a "The Dragon". Now, there are different kinds, Earth, Air, Fire and Water and supposed I'm a water dragon, which is the most easy goin', but it is funny, 'cause I can huff and puff and make speeches in my head, when somethin' rubs my sense a right the wrong way.
And this comment my friend had made, kinda did just that and should it be repeated, reflected very poorly on me and my integrity.

Anyway, back and forth, up and down, a round and a round:

"I sure would like ta say somethin'".

"They wouldn't understand and you'd just get caught in their game".

"But I'm right"!

"Ya, maybe".

"But, someone needs to call their stuff"!

"If they're playin' games like that, the odds of them ownin' up to their stuff are slim to none."

"Ya mean I should just let go"?

"Could very well be the best thing".

"Wow, but not the easiest".

" Look at it this way, if you let go and, by the way, get a grip, recoup your calm, relax and get quiet, a) your gonna feel much better, b) you won't waste a whole day fussin' and fumin' and c) you're way more apt to see things clearly. If somethin' really needs to be said, there's always tomorrow. Besides, you have plenty to do and odds are, put your attention on that and you'll get way further, than some lecture to some one, about some thing, you may have misunderstood to begin with".

Anyway, wisdom prevailed; I took some time, let it go and got quiet. Went back to work and felt better. Small victory, but an important one for me. Might be all those super hero, tv shows I watched when I was little; "upholding truth, justice and the American way". I wonder how come they never said things like, "god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference". I suppose it doesn't "sell".

Have a nice night!

Best,
jeune

2 comments:

  1. Must be something in the air today, as I had a conversation along similar lines with a friend (A) today. The hot mess had not happened to me, but to another friend (B). I told A that working with teens had given me lots of practice in not taking anything personally, at least until I'd had time and distance to examine my own actions/thoughts carefully, to reflect. That way, if I'd been out of line, I could own up and begin to rebuild some trust with that student. Otherwise, I could pay closer attention to maybe figure out what might be at the root of whatever ruckus had transpired.

    Now ruckus in response to ruckus just begets more ruckus, as one can easily see on TV, with all the crazy people huffing and puffing about one thing or another. So your choice to let it go and get quiet.... brilliant, my dragon friend.

    Have a peaceful night, Jeune.
    Your friend, the Chinese "Rat."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The prayer at the end ... I agree ... good for the heart to know and also "Make me an instrument of Thy peace.... " Very good to hear your perspective. Sure makes a person feel like stopping, like you did, before speaking. I have "committees" in my head sometimes too. :D

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete