Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Times They Are A Changin'

Good Evenin'

And, no precip, least wise, daylight, just a cold and windy one; the cold dry air, pushin' the storm off east. Supposed ta hit the 30's man~ana, 40's on Thursday; got my bathin' suit ready!

It's been some years since I was in touch with my family, but with the book and all, we got back in touch, this past year and I've traded notes, with my brother, two sisters and some neices and nephews. Got a nice note from a neice today, likely the one I know best. I was stayin' at my brothers when she was born, and got to know her, that first year, however that works; I guess some bonds defy explanation.

They've been havin' some family circles, inspired by some difficult times and this neice had been fillin' me in. And, it's curious revisitin' their world; so much has happened, so much has changed, the kids are bright, thoughtful and educated and most have kids of their own. Couple of times I've made a comment and realized, "ya know, I've got a lot to learn"; so much of what I remember, what my life with their parents, and grand parents was like, what my life has been apart, it just ain't important. Some of it is, but a lot of it isn't. And that's where the learnin' comes in; I think, bein' a good "elder" might have a lot more to do with listenin' than givin' speeches.

So, God bless the children, and thanks for bringin' em in; what I can see, there's a lot, way smarter'n us.

Rough recollection here: "don't try to understand the children, just love them; for they were born for tomorrow and yours was yesterday. But worry neither, for so God loves the arrow in flight, he loves the bow that was strong".

Gibran from "The Prophet"

Have a nice night.

Best,
jeune

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I understand completely. I've Lived apart from my relatives for many years, for reasons of "difference" in lifestyles and not being accepted for my choices of not embracing a more "traditional" walk, but I do like my solitude and life with nature ... it suits me.

    Love the last paragraph. Listening is really all the Kids want for the most part, maybe an "arrow" pointing a direction from someone of experience sometimes ... but listening ... real listening ... and not thinking while they're talking what you're going to say next. That's a good one, Jeune!

    Blessings,
    Peaceful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening is super important to young folks, who often feel that no one is. I learned that the hard way in my first semester teaching at the high school level. One girl was often absent, so one day I knelt down next to her desk in homeroom and spoke kindly about how important it was for her to come to school. When I'd finished talking, it occurred to me to ask why she was absent so often. Her response devastated me, because I realized how I must have sounded to her. She had leukemia, and died not long after that. Taught me to ask first, to never assume anything, and just to listen..... a lot.

    Happy bathing, Jeune. Hope the weather holds.

    ReplyDelete